The MT-07 Forum

New fz-07 Owner in North Carolina

AdamKareem87

AdamKareem87

I purchased my 2017 fz-07 with abs about a year ago now. Bike has less than 2,000 miles so looking forward to breaking it in. When I got the bike I flushed the brake fluid and changed the oil and installed new spark plugs which were a pita. I am a new rider and this is my first bike so I have been taking it easy and put myself through the hands on safety NC course and plan to start riding much more this summer. Also wondering if anyone is local in Charlotte NC area that would mind trading beer or money for help installing a new rear shock. I don't have the proper stand from what I understand and have no plans to try hanging this bike from the rafters. Looking forward to getting more involved in this forum and learning more about the bike and meeting some local fz owners.

Adam

DSC02074.jpeg

Edited by AdamKareem87
photo

AdamKareem87

Post ohlins install. Thanks for the advice and help.

DSC02082.jpeg

Edited by AdamKareem87

• Global Moderator

If you can do the spark plugs the shock swap will be a piece of cake.  Buy a paddock stand at Harbor Freight (about $30 if memory serves) and use a piece of wood and a jack under the muffler to take the weight off it.  Make sure you have the nuts off before you start so you can get the bolts out quickly.  I did mine by myself with no previous experience and moderate mechanical inclination.  You will have no problems and you will love how much better it is with a decent shock. 

AdamKareem87

Got the rear shock installed! Ratchet and ladder method. Thanks!

• Like 2

AdamKareem87

Massive difference over stock rear shock. Tire just feels tremendously more planted and stable with the ohlins. 

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, AdamKareem87 said:

Massive difference over stock rear shock. Tire just feels tremendously more planted and stable with the ohlins. 

From my suspension settings post...

@@@@@@@@@@@
STX-46
preload: 19mm (my OS) minus 3 turns
rebound: 11 clicks
*OS are my original settings

Results: Softer relaxed setup for comfort cruising/touring. Just back off 3 complete turns of preload from my OS. You don't need to change NIX-22, it has broad capability. Lowering the STX preload has a significant effect on comfort, I use it for relaxed cruising & exploring rough county roads. Bike remains as always, planted and confident.
@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@
STX-46
preload: 19mm (my OS) plus 2 turns
rebound: 11 clicks
*OS are my original settings

Results: For 2 up, partner is 105 lbs on a Corbin pillion. Just add 2 complete turns of preload from my OS. You don't need to change NIX-22, it has broad capability. Needed to balance up suspension when riding with the wife, I use it for in town and exploring rough county roads. Bike remains as always, planted and confident.
@@@@@@@@@@@