The MT-07 Forum

2022 MT07 blowing metal fragments out from exhaust and leaking very small amounts of oil from exhaust.

Cutover

Hello,

I installed the Mivv mk3 carbon full exhaust system and now the exhaust has small amounts of watery oil leaking from the exhaust and has shot out two small metal fragments. There are no lights or any knocking or other concerning noises. The bike has just over 1000 miles on it with its first service done at 500. The picture shows the metal fragment that came out, it’s about half the size of a dime.

Anyone know what’s wrong and how to fit it?

Thanks

IMG_2760.jpeg

• Global Moderator

You would expect this is chaffe from the manufacturing of the exhaust & "watery oil" is also something that a very small amount of could be tossed out of the end-pipe exit

Was all this apparent after your first warmed up? Are you continuing to see "oil" coming out of the exit of exhaust? Or was this a "first startup" after install, and has stopped?

I would suggest contacting exhaust manufacturer, and ask them for explanation. Put a dime on the ground in your pictures, to give perspective - these fragments all together are "less than half size of a dime" in your words.

Get an explanation from mfg, and if anything interesting happened during your install of the pipe, please do update us. Was there anything that bothered you about the install?

Something like "I beat the silencer rivets with a hammer to remove it"

Did you use grease on the exhaust gaskets to hold them in the head during pipe fitment? Is the bike smoking?

32 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

You would expect this is chaffe from the manufacturing of the exhaust & "watery oil" is also something that a very small amount of could be tossed out of the end-pipe exit

Was all this apparent after your first warmed up? Are you continuing to see "oil" coming out of the exit of exhaust? Or was this a "first startup" after install, and has stopped?

I would suggest contacting exhaust manufacturer, and ask them for explanation. Put a dime on the ground in your pictures, to give perspective - these fragments all together are "less than half size of a dime" in your words.

Get an explanation from mfg, and if anything interesting happened during your install of the pipe, please do update us. Was there anything that bothered you about the install?

Something like "I beat the silencer rivets with a hammer to remove it"

Did you use grease on the exhaust gaskets to hold them in the head during pipe fitment? Is the bike smoking?

Thanks for the response,

I have started the bike a couple times, over the past few days. One fragment came out on the first start and one came out the day after. Through both start ups the leaking of oil has seemed to have gone down although I only had it running for a few minutes to check on the second start. With both starts it only started leaking and the shooting fragments after the exhaust started to get hot. There was a decent amount of smoke coming from the exhaust during the first start but it has lessened as the coatings on the exhaust have burnt off. The install went smoothly, I didn’t have to use excessive force on any parts of it. I did not grease the exhaust gaskets, they are just new oem ones.

I will contact the manufacturer as well.

M. Hausknecht

It is hard to imagine how a new pipe, or its installation, could damage a new engine almost immediately. My guess is that the metal pieces and oil were in the pipe when it was purchased. If the metal pieces are ferrous (check with a magnet), they didn't come out of a combustion chamber into the exhaust.  I'm with @Pursuvant on this one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

It is hard to imagine how a new pipe, or its installation, could damage a new engine almost immediately. My guess is that the metal pieces and oil were in the pipe when it was purchased. If the metal pieces are ferrous (check with a magnet), they didn't come out of a combustion chamber into the exhaust.  I'm with @Pursuvant on this one.

You are correct I didn’t think of that. I just checked the pieces they are ferrous, so it’s good there. As for the oil I’ve ran the bike long enough that the coatings or any other residual oils should have been burned or expelled. I don’t have a tune on it yet so it’s fuel ratios are off, could that be it?

11 minutes ago, Cutover said:

I don’t have a tune on it yet so it’s fuel ratios are off, could that be it?

I don't think so.  The stock air/fuel ratios are well thought out, and excellent for fuel economy.  My 2020 is stock, and the exhaust exit is dry.  Altering the map is usually done to add a little midrange torque, decrease engine braking, and things like that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

I don't think so.  The stock air/fuel ratios are well thought out, and excellent for fuel economy.  My 2020 is stock, and the exhaust exit is dry.  Altering the map is usually done to add a little midrange torque, decrease engine braking, and things like that.

Only other thing I can think of would be some kind of gasket issue. It’s not leaking much oil nor is it overheating or losing any power. Should I leave it till there are more signs of an issue?

Yes, I would have fun and ride it.  Keep an eye on the oil thing and see if it continues.  If it's coming from the engine, you will be able to see the oil level in the sight glass falling. 

When is your 1-year warrenty over?  I'm just wondering, since if the very unlikely is true and the engine is putting oil into the exhaust, it would be nice to find out while still under warranty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Yes, I would have fun and ride it.  Keep an eye on the oil thing and see if it continues.  If it's coming from the engine, you will be able to see the oil level in the sight glass falling. 

When is your 1-year warrenty over?  I'm just wondering, since if the very unlikely is true and the engine is putting oil into the exhaust, it would be nice to find out while still under warranty.

I’ll keep an eye on it. I have till December until the warranty is over, so if anything happens soon I should be good.

47 minutes ago, Cutover said:

I’ll keep an eye on it. I have till December until the warranty is over, so if anything happens soon I should be good.

Sounds like a good plan.

• Global Moderator

My first new street legal bike, a 1982 kz-650, I fitted with an RC megaphone header from RC Engineering in Calif. Headers were mostly this.. painted with "wood stove black hi-temp" rattlecan.

They smoked (the paint) a good bit as the pipe heated on first start, you could watch the paint smoke curing the hi temp. They smoked, no problem, and they could have a little oil spit out the cone - oil from the stamping/mfg of parts or maybe  just presale rust prevention, also no problem.

I think that's all you're looking at with your op. Best to get the mfg to say it's all normal, so you can ride out peaceful in mind