The MT-07 Forum

Mt07 LAMS vs unrestricted LAMS

bigtom99

Hello all, so I have a 2019 mt07 LAMS bike that has been completely derestricted and ecu flashed. I mate recently got a brand new mt07 LAMS and we wanted to test out how much faster my unrestricted bike was and from a 2nd gear pull up until 120km where we stopped I did not gain any distance on him at all I thought having potentially an extra 20hp would mean I would easily be able to pull on him just looking for some expert opinions really 

Who is heavier? Lol. Every 8lbs is a horsepower lost (or something like that). If you're the chubby friend, those results make sense. 

1 hour ago, effzee said:

Who is heavier? Lol. Every 8lbs is a horsepower lost (or something like that). If you're the chubby friend, those results make sense. 

You could verify that theory by swapping bikes and running the test again.

23 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

You could verify that theory by swapping bikes and running the test again.

Great idea

• Global Moderator

It is my understanding (and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong) that hp will be seen more in top speed while torque is more important in acceleration.  As you have the same displacement I wonder if derestricting does not increase torque by much, hence the similar acceleration.

15 hours ago, mjh937 said:

It is my understanding (and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong) that hp will be seen more in top speed while torque is more important in acceleration.  As you have the same displacement I wonder if derestricting does not increase torque by much, hence the similar acceleration.

You've got that correct. However I just realized, it's probably the airbox restricting the top end. I swapped to pod filters and never looked back, the bike used to fall on its face at like 170kmh and now pulls to 210 like nothing. Another plus is the bottom end feels much more responsive. 

From https://performancetrends.com/blog/?p=7

To summarize, it is HP through the correct gear ratio which produces best performance.  If you are building an engine, you want the highest averageHP through the RPM range you will be using.

There's a lengthy explanation in the article.