The MT-07 Forum

Stopped using chain lube - one year results

Pursuvant

• Global Moderator

If you haven't seen this post about Scottoiler check it out for a great way to get rid of the "goop". What goop? That mix of old chain lube & grit that is like liquid plastic cement grinding paste that fills up the area around the countershaft / front sprocket.

A year ago I swore off chain lube products - all products including the "fling"ing chain cleaners that are not supposed to build up. So I cleaned out all the goop in the c/s area with diesel, and began my test a year ago, with no chain lube.

I decided that I would let the inside of X-ring sealed chains do all the lubricating, and I would only treat the outside of the chains to prevent rust & keep x-rings healthy.

IMG_20230622_183017235.thumb.jpg.df076337c88884e557c899efba1affde.jpg

It was sort of a dumb idea, but look at results. After one year, above is what the countershaft area looks like when I switched out drive train sprockets & chain. No goop. Sealed chain provides the lubrication, and a shot of WD-40 once a week to keep o-rings healthy and prevent rust. Ya, WD-40, I bought a gallon at wallyworld cheap, pour it in spray bottle, it will last for years. The stuff you should never put on a chain (except in the olden tymes when the chain makers recommended WD).

The chain wore out, but no faster or slower than when I used chain lube. But don't do what I did - be kind to your chain, follow @shinyribs advice and get a scottoiler. It looks like the minimalist Cadillac of chain oilers.

• Like 2

I don't think I can bring myself to not giving the rollers some real lube, for them and for the sprocket contact.  The sealed lubricant inside the O-rings doesn't help the rollers.

• Like 1

Northsouth217

I’ve seen this WD40 discussion on numerous forums throughout the years, and it seems that it really does work. Chain life appears to be the same and the chain stays clean. Some say that it’s stupid to use it as it was designed to displace water but so what if it works for you. I’ve tried it, it does seem to work but needs to be applied more frequently than lubricants. Definitely doesn’t attract dirt and grime. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Northsouth217 said:

Chain life appears to be the same and the chain stays clean.

I'd be interested in the sprocket life, since the rollers will be contacting the teeth without lubrication.  With regular good lubrication, I don't think I've ever had to replace a sprocket due to wear, and I've put something like 30,000 miles on an aluminum rear sprocket on one of my bikes.  Its still looks nearly new.

• Global Moderator
6 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I don't think I can bring myself to not giving the rollers some real lube, for them and for the sprocket contact..

It feels wrong (to not lube outside  chain), I feels that way too. But I just went with it, and I've got test results now

7 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

It feels wrong (to not lube outside  chain), I feels that way too. But I just went with it, and I've got test results now

Well, you did say that after a year you replaced the chain and sprockets.  From my past experience, I normally go through two or three chains before the sprockets are worn enough to replace.  I certainly don't mean to accuse you of wearing your sprockets out prematurely, I'm just thinking about my experiences.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

A year ago I was already on a second chain lubing with Chain Wax. I just cutover to WD from where I was at the time

I've been riding since late 70's, last 15 years or so after my normal 160-200 mile ride through the mountains, I spray WD-40 on a rag and wipe off the chain as I spin the tire.  I then maybe every 1000 to 1500 miles I use Dupont Chain Lube lightly while spinning the tire.  My MT07 has 16,000 miles on it chain and sprockets still good, My SV650 has 20,000 miles on current chain still good and my ST765R has 10,000 miles again chain good.  This Dupont stuff doesn't seem to fly off and build up in the front sprocket area like other chain lubes I've used in the past. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Chain-Lubricant-10-oz/1578008506

Edited by wollerms
addition

1 hour ago, wollerms said:

For heaven's sake, don't pay that much for it!  here's one example of a better price, and it's also through Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Motorcycle-Chain-Saver-Wax-Based-Self-Cleaning-Dry-Lubricant-11oz/16672659?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

Edited by Triple Jim

6 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

For heaven's sake, don't pay that much for it!  here's one example of a better price, and it's also through Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Motorcycle-Chain-Saver-Wax-Based-Self-Cleaning-Dry-Lubricant-11oz/16672659?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

I don't just an example from a google search to show what I use.  

I run my dual sport 15,000 miles with minimal lubing in miserable circumstances - dirt, mud, crud - at that point the internal lube on the pins is going bad, links get tight.  I don't pressure wash or spray water on the chain, so it's not that the lube is blown out of the pins.  I lube the chain every now and again, knowing full well that the lube is only stopping rust and lubricating a bit on the sprockets.   When I replace the chain at around 15,000 miles I also replace sprockets because they will be worn.  I also do it when changing a tire at the same time.   I've only had to adjust the chain maybe twice in those 15,000 miles too.   

With that wear on the dual sport I'm figuring my XSR should get at least 25,000-30,000 miles since it is pure road use and again I don't pressure wash or direct spray on the chain.   I figure I'll do sprockets and tire at the same time too.    Occasional spray of lube when the chain looks dry does the job well and little to no chain spray on wheels since it's not overdone.

But that's just what I feel is sufficient.

Almost every motorcycle manufacturer recommends using kerosene to clean the drive chain, but they also recommend wiping off any residual kerosene after that cleaning. WD40 contains kerosene, so I would be reluctant to spray it on my chain and leave it. As others have noted, sealed O-ring/X-ring chains already have grease inside the seals, but keeping those seals moist and pliable is key to retaining that grease. That’s why I use a chain lube, to keep the seals from degrading and to provide some measure of lubrication at the roller/sprocket interface.

• Like 1

Wiping off kerosene from the chain won't get it off the o-rings and other internal parts, so not wiping is just a surface difference.