The MT-07 Forum

Parts bin special

luke2152

Hello all, currently building my ultimate bike - taking the best bits from unspectacular bikes to create a monster.

Frame: TRX 850 fuel tank and frame - heavily modified, triumph street triple subframe.

MTO7 engine, microsquirt engine management.

Rear end: Triumph speed triple swingarm, rear wheel and Ohlins TTX36.

Front end: Gsxr 1000 k1 forks and front wheel, cbr f4i calipers, R1 5PW yokes.

Of course there's far more to it but those are the big ticket items

IMG_20230609_183933_952.jpg

• Like 6

• Global Moderator

Is there the risk, that the sum total would be "stacking differences"?  Mfg's flop even though they have familiarity

13 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Is there the risk, that the sum total would be "stacking differences"?  Mfg's flop even though they have familiarity

Absolutely, but equally they don't have access to each others components. At least I can say (for example) don't like the front end feel with these GSXR forks but R1 yokes have more offset and swap them round.

But yes it would probably be cheaper to buy a finished product although not half as fun.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
5 hours ago, luke2152 said:

Absolutely, but equally they don't have access to each others components. At least I can say (for example) don't like the front end feel with these GSXR forks but R1 yokes have more offset and swap them round.

But yes it would probably be cheaper to buy a finished product although not half as fun.

A big yes to that fun, keep us updated...pics are always good as you go with it

22 hours ago, luke2152 said:

IMG_20230711_191758_710.jpg

Love the look without the tank and seat, looks like that’s how it was supposed to be.

Would definitely prefer that front end rather than the pogo sticks that Yamaha gave us as well.

• Global Moderator
On 7/11/2023 at 3:32 PM, luke2152 said:

IMG_20230412_185949_438.jpg

That's funny you're testing out a block of foam before you alter seat? I expect even with good seats a lot of us got sore bums at end of day.

This is an impressive effort, congrats. What's left to do?

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 1:31 AM, Pursuvant said:

That's funny you're testing out a block of foam before you alter seat? I expect even with good seats a lot of us got sore bums at end of day.

This is an impressive effort, congrats. What's left to do?

Yes was indeed partly for comfort and partly because the seat unit didn't match the tank so I had to do some alterations to it anyway.

It's on the road now. I've done a few hundred miles on it with minimum issues. What I do need to sort out though:

Rake angle is 21 degrees which is very aggressive. I kind of like it but I think I'm setting myself up for a bad tank slapper under the right conditions so I'm looking at trying to get some longer tubes for the forks and putting some spacers under the damper rods to raise the front 30mm or so.

Its not making the top end power it should, feels great up to 7k rpm but then runs out of steam (I dont have access to a dyno but I do have a t7 so I know how the engine should feel). I'm pretty happy with the fueling and ignition timing  so I think it's inlet or exhaust limitation.

Inlet has foam filters socks straight on the throttle bodies and I thought that was the problem but I've tested without them (ie. just the throttle body) and no obvious difference. I'm going to get the trumpets out of a stock mt07 airbox and try them to see if they magically solve the problem but I doubt they'll make a big difference.

Exhaust as can be seen from the photos is a full system. Looks pretty free flowing to me but the silencer is tiny. It has a good unrestricted path straight through it but I'm thinking maybe the small volume is doing funny things with the pressure waves. It's far too loud anyway so I'll probably try something a bit more traditional.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I put a different exhaust on. A fairly common Delkavic oval slip on which needed minimal modification to make it fit. I took it out for a ride and felt like some kind of improvement, however it was just my ears fooling me. I took datalog under controlled conditions (same bit of road, accelerate in 3rd 20mph-80mph at the exact same point). Datalog suggests no improvement to performance - I'm kind of impressed though that the graph is pretty much identical so it was a fair test.

For context:

White line is RPM vs time

Red line is throttle position vs time (snapped it open slightly quicker on one of the runs).

Green line is speed but taken from GPS so only updates every second hence the steps.

164555378_20220731_exhaustcomparison.thumb.png.7ee6a035b972679d1cba83db29918d40.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AP996 said:

Do you have access to the stock ignition maps to compare to yours? If not I could screen shot them for you.

That would be great. I pulled an ignition map off the FTECU website and transposed it into my own ignition table - however it would be good to see if its any different from what you have.