The MT-07 Forum

Bar end bent after drop

Themainjace

Themainjace

New to the forum so hopefully I'm putting this in the right spot.

Got a 2016 FZ07 a few months back and dropped it 😑. I'm not great with motorcycle anatomy, but seems to have messed up the fork alignment (fixing that myself) and the throttle bar end (not sure what it's called). I dropped it on the throttle side, and the part that screws into the throttle side handlebar bent backwords slightly (didn't snap off) and the inner body that's threaded is bent inside the handlebar. 

Do I need an entire new handlebar? What's the threaded part of the inside called? My throttle felt a little sticky after the drop so took it apart and was gonna clean and lube it up again before putting it back together, but thinking about buying new throttle tube (already bought new grips since it tore the end of the grip off).

• Premium Member

You'll need a new handlebar. the threaded insert is pressed in at the factory. Luckily they're not very expensive.

You may want to consider replacing the stock throttle tube with an R6 throttle tube.  See this thread for lots of information:

There are numerous other threads that cover the R6 throttle tube's benefits as well.

Good luck getting your ride back on the road.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
On 7/17/2023 at 12:17 PM, Themainjace said:

...got a 2016 FZ07 a few months back and dropped it... seems to have messed up the fork alignment (fixing that myself) and the throttle bar end (not sure what it's called). I dropped it on the throttle side, and....Throttle felt a little sticky after the drop...

I would suggest that the nature of the two "bike injuries" are significant, and should be acted on to remove any doubts about safety and ridability.

Forks. There are many demons lurking here, that could result in a future severity. Have the forks looked at by experience. If all they need is "relaxed" by following a specific maintenance procedure, then great. If they need repair, then make it so. You can then ride with confidence.

Throttle. Even a slight malfunction in the throttle rotating operation, is way serious. This is not an area of "bike injury" that can be addressed without experience and willingness to get it properly resolved, and completely.

Just do it, and get qualified and complete help on all this. Because yes