The MT-07 Forum

2016 left rear turn signal broke

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed my left rear turn signal had detached itself from the tailpiece. It looks like there are tabs on the turn signal stalk that interlock with a retaining plate inside the tailpiece and the tabs on the stalk have worn off allowing the turn signal to dangle by the wires. I placed an ad in the parts needed segment of the site but if anyone has a fix for this, let me know. Many thanks.

july 2023 broken rear turn signal of fz07.JPG

Edited by firstyammerha
repair failure

Yakko Warner

If you want to take a chance with $15, you might be able to unscrew the base of the signal and replace it with one from these:

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Turn Signal Light Indicator For YAMAHA FZ07 FZ 09...

.They may be compatible or not.  And you'd still have to remove a bit of body work to unplug the original wiring.

firstyammerha

Thanks for the repair option Yakko. I had a thought pop up in my head last night involving cable ties. I have a good selection of various sizes so I picked a couple of 4" long 10 or 20lb. rated ties from my supply. I figured that I could drill a couple of 1/8" holes 180 degrees apart in the soft rubber or plastic that the stalk is made from and feed the ties through a couple of like holes into the tailpiece. These appear sturdy but in hindsight, instead of placing the holes in the leading and trailing edges of the stalk, I should have put them on the top and bottom edge of the stalk. I may go back and drill two more holes on the top and bottom edges of the stalk for extra strength. Other than the ties being white, it looks like a cheap solid fix. Update: the small ties cut their way through the stalk so it's back to the drawing board. I have a couple of larger ties securing the signal to the license plate bracket for now.  1085966814_FZ07rearturnsignalfixjuly2023.JPG.1709e4575e9de7a0b7a65e93788c0635.JPG

Edited by firstyammerha

I have a 2017 FZ07. (4000) Miles barely ridden. After the 3rd broken light, I decided to buy the integrated taillight and signals. It seems like every time landscapers in the Condo started using those blowers to clean up the clippings, I would up with broken turn signals. (The Bike is under a cover.) They swing those blowers around and I'm convinced they hit the rear signals.) I Bought some Lights to mimic the turn signals on the bike. They are steel and don't look bad. End of problem. 

FZ07 Rear.jpg

Edited by scat2me
Spelling

I think that it is a poor design from Yamaha.  I had both signals break at that rubber boot connection at the rear.  The front signals were always fine.  I ended up doing a similar fix as @firstyammerha until that wore out. I ran a bolt through the boot (top to bottom) and zip tied from the inside.

I now have full aftermarket signals on front and rear with a replacement set of yamaha factory signals to swap out to pass yearly safety inspection.