The MT-07 Forum

Quickshifters keeping riders inexperienced?

Loek

Gotchu! I chose to put a clickbaity title for my post haha.

In all seriousness though, I've been wondering this for a long time and want to know your opinions. I absolutely love rev matching, and shifting up and down rapidly while riding aggressively. The feeling of being in full control of a mechanical machine is what riding is all about for me. The combination of throttle control, brake control, center of mass control, and gear control are what makes riding such a thrill and a rewarding experience. 

Besides for pure performance on track to win races or to beat your PR, I simply don't get why quickshifters are are being put on street bikes that won't even do 50% of the power they have on regular streets day to day. I learn how to control my bike by feeling how it works and taking it to the limit mechanically, and that includes shifting. Isn't every rider (who call themselves a lover of motorcycles) someone who wants to have a true feel for the bike?

So what's your take on this?

PS: I also really don't like most technical things on bikes. I like throttle-by-cable, dislike rider modes, and dislike traction control. I do like ABS for regular commuting, other than that I rather not have it on my bikes. I ride a XSR700 (2017), BMW R100 (1981), and a KTM 450 EXC-f (2019). All fairly mechanical and without crazy rider aids.

M. Hausknecht

I've got quick-shifters on both my race bikes, where they can gain you several feet on a straight where you're upshifting 2-3 times compared to an ordinary clutchless upshift. If you're racing the difference is noticeable. On bikes with throttle cables, like the 07 and the R7, since auto-blipping isn't easily implemented, they only work with upshifts; you still need to do rev matching and potentially use the clutch to downshift.

On the street, quick-shifters can be fun or a pain in the butt, depending on how you ride. They tend not to work as well when accelerating at partial throttle, but that is mostly a function of kill times, which are adjustable on the decent units, and lazy shifter movement by the rider. I wouldn't avoid a street bike because it comes with a quick-shifter, but I also wouldn't put one on a street bike that doesn't come with one. But that's just me....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I wouldn't avoid a street bike because it comes with a quick-shifter...

Actually I might, since it probably says something about how that bike has been ridden.  :)  When buying a used street bike, I prefer it to be completely stock and looking like it was well taken care of.

• Like 4

I have only used a friend's Street triple and R6 quick shifter on the street.

I think its fun, not a must for me but it is enjoyable. I do get where you are coming from with more mechanical / analog feeling bikes. I don't really care for going the fastest, so I want as much control and fun as I can.

Yes all good points. I agree that for racing and performance on track it makes sense. I'm worried that all the new decently powered bikes that are coming out will all have quickshifters and 3 rider modes. I just don't want them. I'm very drawn to bikes between 2007 - 2017, when they used to be simpler (not even talking about EURO and similar regulations).

• Global Moderator

If I see I've got a younger riders attention, I don't give them hardware to think about, I talk about covering the controls at all times

• Like 1

A Quick shifter is a good thing, no cons, just pros!

if you don’t like it but your bike is equipped with it , you can just ignore it .

BUT imho is just a “go fast” part, not very relevant without a spirited Riding.

Personally my quick shifter is “synced “ with my shift light, if red and flashing SHIFT! 
Smooth and fast, so I can shift faster and when leaned at the track.

surely is fun 

Unlike electronic "aids" like ABS , which have the ability to actually take control of the bike away from the rider, quick shifters don't do this. In theory it just allows you to skip throttle close/clutch when shifting. Since it only works cleanly in certain rpm and/or load windows, it can actually help you develop a feel for clutchless shifting even though that's what it's supposed to be a sort of "replacement" for. 

Misadjusted or used roughy, you'll get rough clutchless shifts with a quick shifter, but not as rough as without. So just zipping around on the street it's a bit of an accidental aid to learning to shift clutchless. Wide open throttle under full load it can't be beat. 

Not having a quick shifter, for just cruising around normally I rarely use the clutch to shift up or down after getting used to a bike and learning how it feels. It's all about shifting only when the bike is coasting and there's zero drive line pressure. So when I'm in hoon mode and riding hard I'll use the clutch to shift fast instead of trying to rev match. Learning to clutchless shift hasn't taken away my ability to shift quickly, I'm actually more in tune with what the bike is doing. Quick shifters can work the same way if you don't just blindly expect them to work magic at low speeds and operate like an automatic clutch/transmission. Because at the end of the day it's just a kill switch that gets operated during the moment you shift. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I'll go a different tact with the question about what is "keeping new riders from gaining experience". The information age has multiplied the availability of material objects and the velocity they pass thru perception. We seek happiness by reaching out for and acquiring the world of things, relationships, substances, ++, and quick shifters.

After you've chased all these things long enough you may have the realization that the "stuff" only gives a short dose of peace, before that new watch is in the back of the sock drawer, forgotten, and the chase is on again.

Less flashy is the effort it takes to find & practice the skills that make moto-man.

• Like 1