The MT-07 Forum

Are the rear turn signal lights always on?

toolpro

Are the rear turn signal lights always on as running lights, like the front turn signal lights?  Sounds pretty dumb, but I never ride behind myself.  I had some electrical repair done, and afterwards noted the rear turn signal lights are only on when flashing to signal a turn.  The repair shop tells me this is normal, but I am doubtful.

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

My 2020's rear turn signals are not on as running lights, unlike the front ones.

Normally, the rear lights are off. Different bulbs, single filament in most bikes from front ones, double filament. 

Only the front ones do have running lights.

This being said, I modified mine to do have running lights at the rear but only for increased visibility as way too many cagers do not care about what is ahead of them. Cell phones are a plague on the road; this should be treated as a criminal case...

Take note that legally, rear running lights should be read. But I’ve been having amber ones for decades without any problem.

Edited by Claude

49 minutes ago, Claude said:

Take note that legally, rear running lights should be read. But I’ve been having amber ones for decades without any problem.

Right, but at least in my state turn signals can be red, so if we could find red lenses we could use them for running lights and turn signals legally.  I'm still tempted to do what you did.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

Jim, I believe rear turn signals can be red anywhere in America. I’m looking at cars here and both amber and red rear signals are around so legislations surely accept both anywhere.

Another option too is clear lenses and red bulbs. 

Edited by Claude
  • Like 1

I also added a LED brake bar (link below) behind my FZ07 (and on most other bikes I own). I do this in the name of visibility. I could take pictures if interested.

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1x Motorcycle Flexible LED Light Strips Brake Tail Light Bar Turn...

5 hours ago, Claude said:

I also added a LED brake bar (link below) behind my FZ07 (and on most other bikes I own). I do this in the name of visibility. I could take pictures if interested.

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1x Motorcycle Flexible LED Light Strips Brake Tail Light Bar Turn...

I am curious about a picture. Where do you have it mounted? My last few bikes I added light strips, not sure where to put one on this bike

3 hours ago, pepperona said:

I am curious about a picture. Where do you have it mounted? My last few bikes I added light strips, not sure where to put one on this bike

Same trick on all my bikes; I cut an aluminum plate which has same width as license plate but about 1/2 inch higher. I install this plate behind the license and the 1/2 in. added material is the spot where I stick the DEL. Will take a picture soon. The bars I install have brake light, parking light and both turn signals. With the parking lights inside the turn signals, visibility is much better. Oh and I also use a module that make the DEL brake light flashing for the first 3-4 seconds. The longest task is the wiring.

Cagers must have a f*****g good excuse if they don’t see me...

Edited by Claude
  • Like 1

Here are some pics. Notice the slight angle I made at the bottom of the aluminum plate for the light to be on a vertical plane.

FZ07 brake light (1).jpg

FZ07 brake light (2).jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

If you chase the wires from the rear signal back to where they plug into the bike (under the passenger seat), there are only 2 wires.. One is "hot", and the other is "ground". Now chase the wires from the front turn signals back. There will be 3 wires going to the front. The third wire runs the running lights on the front signals. The rear does NOT have running lights. Hope that helps-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

15 hours ago, cornerslider said:

If you chase the wires from the rear signal back to where they plug into the bike (under the passenger seat), there are only 2 wires.. One is "hot", and the other is "ground". Now chase the wires from the front turn signals back. There will be 3 wires going to the front. The third wire runs the running lights on the front signals. The rear does NOT have running lights. Hope that helps-

Exact. I used the taillight "parking light" wire to feed the DEL brake light "parking light" input.

‐----------

Oh and I also used the same taillight wire to feed the two rear turn signals that I modified to use twin filment bulbs. They both now also have (amber) parking lights. All the bulbs are now LED so the current draw is minimal.

Edited by Claude