The MT-07 Forum

New headlight assembly fz07

Drail636

Hi everyone, 

Was not able to find any reviews of this headlight anywhere on the internet, so figured I’d post my experience with it. 

I’ve had my 2016 FZ for a few years now and never was to kien on the headlight(especially after the newer models came out) made it feel out dated and old. I ran across this head light and it was reasonably priced ($175), so gave it a chance. I have to say it really made my bike(IMO) look way more modern and updated. Wondering y’all thoughts?

P.s. Light works great and is extremely bright. Also was 100% plug and play. Seems to be good quality, granted haven’t road in the rain to verify water proofness.

((can add more pics if requested to show highs and low beam output at night))

IMG_4825.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

• Like 4

Neat.  I'd like to see the high and low beam photos if you have a chance.  In particular, does the low beam keep the light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers?  (low beam cutoff)

Also, some specifics on that unit would be helpful.

Welcome to the board, Drail636!

Edited by Triple Jim

On 8/6/2023 at 3:12 PM, Triple Jim said:

Neat.  I'd like to see the high and low beam photos if you have a chance.  In particular, does the low beam keep the light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers?  (low beam cutoff)

Also, some specifics on that unit would be helpful.

Welcome to the board, Drail636!

As requested I finally got a chance to take some beam pics. I will say though it looks brighter in person. And the low beam cut off is pretty definitely. This is the headlight and seller I purchased from. https://www.ebay.com/itm/175685258822

IMG_4838.jpeg

IMG_4839.jpeg

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Always welcome new members!, you can introduce yourself here, plenty of help in the forum. Your light has a cool factor, that's something overlooked sometimes when gathering safety gear & accessories. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
On 8/6/2023 at 2:12 PM, Triple Jim said:

Neat.  I'd like to see the high and low beam photos if you have a chance.  In particular, does the low beam keep the light out of the eyes of oncoming drivers?  (low beam cutoff)....

I replaced a dead front led blinker last week so I removed/replaced headlight - it reminded me that I "rotated" the trim ring mounting (held in by the two Allen head screws) - rotated a small amount without redrilling (just took up available slack) to cause the low beam to be tilted off horizontal, to make the beam lower on the pave for oncoming traffic. It doesn't do much, but it's not without some benefit...

• Like 2

That looks like excellent cutoff, thanks.  I checked your seller and he has another version he says is for MTs up to 2019.  I didn't know there was a change  for 2020 that made the headlight different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

That looks like excellent cutoff, thanks.  I checked your seller and he has another version he says is for MTs up to 2019.  I didn't know there was a change  for 2020 that made the headlight different.

Yeah, I like the wider 2020 mt07/fz09 headlight(you have on yours). I probably wouldn’t have done a headlight upgraded on mine if I had the wider headlight. I was tempted to to do the mt07 2020 headlight retrofit, but seemed tedious and a lot of money. Here’s a pic of the final build, well I  have ASV short levers on the way, but after that I’m done for a while just installed the Ohlien’s rear shock, so I’m running out of money haha 😂

IMG_4842.jpeg

8 hours ago, Drail636 said:

Yeah, I like the wider 2020 mt07/fz09 headlight(you have on yours). I probably wouldn’t have done a headlight upgraded on mine if I had the wider headlight.

The 2020 still had a halogen bulb though.  LED would be nice.  Ideally I'd like to find an LED bulb, rather than the whole assembly, but I haven't found one that has good low beam cutoff, a good pattern, and reliability like the QH bulbs.

I have the same one and love it!

Does your beam shakes when riding? Housing is fixed thight but it feels like the LEDs themself or maybe the projector is shaking inside. Although I feel like it makes me even more visible to oncoming traffic since it "flickers" a bit.

For those who ask, here is a comparison of before / after. I had the original housing with an LED bulb + blue angel eye:

Picsart_23-06-09_22-43-23-281.jpg

Picsart_23-06-09_22-45-10-409.jpg

• Like 3

• Global Moderator
17 hours ago, Drail636 said:

...I’m done for a while just installed the Ohlien’s rear shock, so I’m running out of money haha 😂

IMG_4842.jpeg

I'm 150 lbs, from my maintenance log here are sporting settings on an xsr700. A small adjustment of preload goes a long way when your thin.

STX46 (YA419) Ohlins Street rear shock
PN 01092-36/105
spring rate 105 N/m

2023-08-08 STX-46 (SAG 29mm)

0mm is shock preload "locking ring" lengthened all the way to upper (top of) the shock body bolted to the engine case.

preload: (10mm)

0 "clicks" is fully closed
rebound (STX-46): 11 clicks

Increased preload to balance with nix-22 forks, these are my preferred sport settings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Royales83 said:

I have the same one and love it!

Does your beam shakes when riding? Housing is fixed thight but it feels like the LEDs themself or maybe the projector is shaking inside. Although I feel like it makes me even more visible to oncoming traffic since it "flickers" a bit.

For those who ask, here is a comparison of before / after. I had the original housing with an LED bulb + blue angel eye:

Picsart_23-06-09_22-43-23-281.jpg

Picsart_23-06-09_22-45-10-409.jpg

Yeah the beam does vibrate a little, but it honestly doesn’t bother me. I never thought of the increased visibility to others on the road, but it totally makes sense and I’m with you it probably helps. I also had a led bulb installed in stock housing and think this new headlight brighter. I didn’t do a before and after pic, just going off memory, so I’m glad you did lol, so thanks for your contribution 🤘.

2 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

I'm 150 lbs, from my maintenance log here are sporting settings on an xsr700. A small adjustment of preload goes a long way when your thin.

STX46 (YA419) Ohlins Street rear shock
PN 01092-36/105
spring rate 105 N/m

2023-08-08 STX-46 (SAG 29mm)

0mm is shock preload "locking ring" lengthened all the way to upper (top of) the shock body bolted to the engine case.

preload: (10mm)

0 "clicks" is fully closed
rebound (STX-46): 11 clicks

Increased preload to balance with nix-22 forks, these are my preferred sport settings.

I appreciate that. we’re almost the same weight(i’m 155lbs), so I’ll definitely give your settings a whirl. I haven’t got a chance to have some spirited riding yet, soon though. And I’ll bring tool and make adjustments on my ride. Also how are the nix22 cartridges? Probably my next mod I already did the Dave Moss mod to the front forks, and added preload adjuster caps on top of forks. It helped still feel like they could be better though.

• Global Moderator

I would recommend a hard look at emulators for forks, there's a lot to read on the topic here. The nix-22 are great as expected, but it's seems arguable with other satisfying options for the street.

Maybe keep any single add-on price down, spread your $$$ across safety gear, ecu flash, EBC HH pads up front, and then suspension 

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Drail636 said:

I appreciate that. we’re almost the same weight(i’m 155lbs), so I’ll definitely give your settings a whirl.

Get two of these, the OEM toolkit spanner is a knucke-buster  

image.thumb.png.08fbaf704ce41e87d80c75b28a46bbb2.png

That's an Ohlins spanner, about $11 on Amazon but any quality spanners...

About my settings, and yours at 155 lbs, 1 turn of the preload ring moves my SAG settings from 25-30mm track into 30-35mm street range. Check your SAG, "firm" for me is SAG 29mm on the street

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

The 2020 still had a halogen bulb though.  LED would be nice.  Ideally I'd like to find an LED bulb, rather than the whole assembly, but I haven't found one that has good low beam cutoff, a good pattern, and reliability like the QH bulbs.

I have this same issue my 2020 headlight is just not bright enough but I haven’t found a led bulb that will work well in the stock housing. Not really looking to retrofit the headlight since I’m a buy once cry once kid of guy I have other items on my list to spend money on.

9 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

About my settings, and yours at 155 lbs, 1 turn of the preload ring moves my SAG settings from 25-30mm track into 30-35mm street range. Check your SAG, "firm" for me is SAG 29mm on the street

Thank you for the help. I’m ordering the second preload tool now.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:54 PM, Pursuvant said:

Would this spanner works with OEM rear shock?

• 5 months later...

Don't suppose anyone from the UK has fitted one of these? I've heard you can run into trouble with the MOT swapping stock to an LED headlight?