The MT-07 Forum

lowering kit MT07

Max of Millbrook

Max of Millbrook

Has anyone tried to lower MT07? I love the bike Hate the seat! If I lowered it I could add padding to the seat. I have found inexpensive lowering links on Amazon but do not want to die on a rough road!

Any experience in this would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Max of Millbrook said:

I love the bike Hate the seat! If I lowered it I could add padding to the seat.

Do an internet search for "air motorcycle seat cushion" and you will find $30 knock-offs of the air hawk cushion.

If you put very little air in it, they evenly distribute pressure without feeling like you are rolling around on it.

The key is to only put enough air so 2 hands are supported when you press down, but one hand will bottom out. The 2 hands will be like your ass, and will float just over the surface of your seat. The human body gets bony sore points where the "sit bones" are located. The cheap pad eliminates that.

They look strange, but who cares - they work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RD350 said:

I seem to be shrinking at 5'4" tall...

When I am on a tall motorcycle I wear Chippewa Logger boots with about 2" heel. Got a mint pair on Ebay in my size, they were a bit loose, put in some height increasing insoles from Amazon. Gives you a lot more confidence.

I don't need them for the MT-07 but some bikes I ride are taller.

I got the Chippewa Logger Style 73015 (they are all pretty similar). They have tall heels and a tall front sole with a lot of deep texture. They are recessed where the footpeg sits in front of the heel. I took a hacksaw to some of the textured front sole "lugs" so that the boots interact with the shifter just like any other riding boot, but that isn't mandatory.

Chippewa Forum.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1

When I lowered a bike (TDM 900, the rear) I also dropped the front end (down the forks) so as not to interfere with the handling. Worked fine.  This also had the advantage of a bit more drop.  I bought my links from Germany. I have just googled a description to see if it reminded me which company made them but it did not appear. Other German makers there, don't know about for MT-07

• Like 1

Just do it! 

So I read the original post but not all responses so forgive me if I repeat something

I have installed 2 different lowering links on my 07 so I have the answers to any questions you may have.

I have installed the Amazon links that were very inexpensive and that seemed to lower the bike about 1.5in. Moderate but wasn't enough.

I bought a PSR link from vividracing.com took forever to get here, had to email them bc I thought they forgot to ship it. But when I put it in it dropped the bike plenty.

As for quality. Hardly a distinguishable difference. 

I'm 200lb 6,1 the psr link dropped the bike so much that going over bumps and whoops the rear tire would rub on whatever under the seat and give the baseball card brrrrrt sound. Which is fine, but if ur a big boy maybe go for the Amazon one. 

As for changing around the geometry blah blah blah just put the link in, the bike rides find, none if us are experts, lucky if we put 5k miles on a year, not nearly enough seat time to genuinely develop any kind of skill. 

My 07 has the stock link in now (was lowered for my ex) if you really want I'll send you the Amazon link for shipping or sell the psr link if you want it

On 8/9/2023 at 10:39 PM, Max of Millbrook said:

Any experience in this would be appreciated.

The Best - I had this on my bike, and it's awesome. I recommend you get it with the bearings and seals installed. The price is not as bad as it looks because that is in Aussie dollars.

0002431_mt07-fz-07-xsr700-tracer-r7-jack

Adjustable Rear suspension (Dogbone) plates for MT-07, FZ-07, XSR700 & Tracer fits all year models including 2021...

Max of Millbrook
21 hours ago, Dylan M said:

So I read the original post but not all responses so forgive me if I repeat something

I have installed 2 different lowering links on my 07 so I have the answers to any questions you may have.

I have installed the Amazon links that were very inexpensive and that seemed to lower the bike about 1.5in. Moderate but wasn't enough.

I bought a PSR link from vividracing.com took forever to get here, had to email them bc I thought they forgot to ship it. But when I put it in it dropped the bike plenty.

As for quality. Hardly a distinguishable difference. 

I'm 200lb 6,1 the psr link dropped the bike so much that going over bumps and whoops the rear tire would rub on whatever under the seat and give the baseball card brrrrrt sound. Which is fine, but if ur a big boy maybe go for the Amazon one. 

As for changing around the geometry blah blah blah just put the link in, the bike rides find, none if us are experts, lucky if we put 5k miles on a year, not nearly enough seat time to genuinely develop any kind of skill. 

My 07 has the stock link in now (was lowered for my ex) if you really want I'll send you the Amazon link for shipping or sell the psr link if you want it

I ride 20,000 kms every year. I love the twisty's. I do not want to bugger up the geometry.

• Like 1

sweetscience

My future mod will be the Luimoto seat gel insert.  With this, the seat height remains the same as OE.  Probably be a winter project, that is if you don't mind doing the work yourself.