The MT-07 Forum

Progressive Suspension Cartridge Kit Review

Nucking Foob

Nucking Foob

Progressive Suspension Monotube 31-2543 Fork Cartridge Kit for all models of MT07, FZ07, and XSR700.

First impressions: 

Out of the box you get the pair of cartridges, a pair of preload spacers, and instructions. The box is well padded and the cartridges are well-built units. No adjustment or spring replacement is possible.

Installation:

Remove forks from bike. Use an impact wrench on the damper rod bolt while compressing the fork tube. To do this you will need an extended 8mm hex key that can attach to your impact wrench. Position the fork over a drain pan to catch the oil. Next, loosen the upper fork cap to remove the contents: spacer, washer, spring, damper rod, and top-out spring. Insert the cartridge into the fork leg. Make sure you have already inserted the preload spacer and the top out spring! The cartridge is long enough to extend to the bottom of the fork leg. Thread in the bolt at the bottom of the leg and tighten it with a few blasts of the impact wrench. Do not use permanent threadlocker on the bolt because it would be impossible to remove the cartridge kit. Fill the requisite 200cc of 10W fork oil. Pour in <50ml of oil at a time and stroke the fork a few times. After getting all 200cc poured in, lubricate the fork cap o-ring and tighten the fork cap. Replace forks onto bike.

Results:

For context, I am 180 lbs with gear. The cartridge forks are better at handling fast corners without the jumpy feeling of the stock forks. And, there is less brake dive. I chalk this up to the stiffer springs of the cartridge kit. Rebound is a little less bouncy than stock, but rebound gets faster and more bouncy as the oil inside the cartridge heats up. I do not feel any more comfort with this kit versus the stock suspension. In my opinion I would have saved myself the $400 and used it instead on a Traxxion AR-25 kit since it is already tuned to your weight and riding style, plus there is no difference in how long it takes to install the Traxxion kit.

Edited by Nucking Foob
  • Like 1

Thanks for the writeup! I haven't heard of this product for the MT07 before. Where did you order it?

I do agree that the mt07 suspension is a bit dated. Hoping with the release of the new Honda and Suzuki competitors, yamaha will finally update this bike.. 

Nucking Foob
On 8/14/2023 at 10:57 AM, pepperona said:

Thanks for the writeup! I haven't heard of this product for the MT07 before. Where did you order it?

I do agree that the mt07 suspension is a bit dated. Hoping with the release of the new Honda and Suzuki competitors, yamaha will finally update this bike.. 

Purchased from Parts Giant. I would recommend going through eBay.

Edited by Nucking Foob