The MT-07 Forum

Bike wont start after ECU Flash

gizmozg

So i installed a FTECU bike side harness and flashed the bike with the appropriate unrestricted map.

was excited to go test ride but the bike wont start.

error codes:

5d12

5d13

5d41

Went back and reflashed with stock ecu map and still got the same issue.

help please !

FTECU told me to clear the codes and try dumping back the stock map from their tune.

We shall see what this does this weekend.

😕

• Like 1

Took me this long to Google "FZ 07 sd code list.

13&14 are air intake sensor. 

41 is tip over sensor.

Reinstall those devices in their proper orientation and try again. If they are installed properly, double check your pin installation of the bike side harness. 

On 8/18/2023 at 12:21 PM, Triple Jim said:

The ones in question are 12, 13, and 41... 

Dyslexia ftw 🙄 That's my mistake...

• Like 1

I did find all the codes already, bike is stripped all the way.

Lean angle sensor is good, crankshaft sensor is good, the relays are good, now its fuel pump testing.

Just pulled the tank off and tested the pump, makes barely any noise when connected to 12V and no fuel coming out at all.

Should it not send out fuel with it primes ?

On 8/16/2023 at 6:11 AM, gizmozg said:

...flashed the bike with the appropriate unrestricted map.

... the bike wont start.

Went back and reflashed with stock ecu map and still got the same issue.

I am no expert on flashed ECU - but it almost sounds like somewhere in the process a fuse or something got blown. Restoring the stock ECU map should have remedied any changes, but it didn't.

Just looking at the super simple basic stuff, what happens if you pull the air filter and spray starter fluid as you crank it? It should at least briefly run (unless open circuit somewhere). I would test that before going deep on a fuel pump (to isolate fuel vs spark being the culprit).

Also, with repeated attempts to crank an engine that would not start, I would charge the battery to the point of a strong 13 volts because a marginal battery can cause all kinds of grief.

8 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I am no expert on flashed ECU - but it almost sounds like somewhere in the process a fuse or something got blown. Restoring the stock ECU map should have remedied any changes, but it didn't.

Just looking at the super simple basic stuff, what happens if you pull the air filter and spray starter fluid as you crank it? It should at least briefly run (unless open circuit somewhere). I would test that before going deep on a fuel pump (to isolate fuel vs spark being the culprit).

Also, with repeated attempts to crank an engine that would not start, I would charge the battery to the point of a strong 13 volts because a marginal battery can cause all kinds of grief.

Yeah, battery change is on my mind for sure. it had 12.3V yesterday.

Fuel pump connected to it did not send out any fuel or make a sound last night.

Bigger issue is that 2 ODBII readers did not connect to the bike so i cant even try to clear the codes 😕

42 minutes ago, gizmozg said:

Bigger issue is that 2 ODBII readers did not connect to the bike so i cant even try to clear the codes 😕

I've never been able to get a reader to connect to my 2020 either.  It seems that Yamaha is doing something non-standard.

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

I've never been able to get a reader to connect to my 2020 either.  It seems that Yamaha is doing something non-standard.

That is a good thing to know.

Thank you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gizmozg said:

Yeah, battery change is on my mind for sure. it had 12.3V yesterday.

Below 12.6 is weak. Do you have a charger? Even a battery that is circling the drain will usually take a charge (even if it doesn't hold it very long).

A weak battery will use all it's amps cranking the engine & you may get a weak spark.

Given your sequence of events, I don't think that is the CAUSE of your issue but it will be very frustrating if it complicates the troubleshooting by adding another variable after repeated cranking without starting.

The battery voltage during cranking is most important.  You should see something near 10v while cranking.  Some sources say that below 9.6v indicates a failing battery.

I did top it off day 2 of troubleshooting and tried from there, it was at 12.7V then.

I can always get a new battery, probably need a new one.

• 3 months later...

Still having issues with the bike.

Its been a few months now and still in the same spot.

Fuel pump is good, debating buying a used ecu 😕

Went to a local Yamaha authorized service center and they told me they wont work on the bike cause its tuned.

Only way they would look at it is if i buy a $700 stock ECU for it then the repairs would start.....

Spraying starter fluid into the air intake did not crank the bike as well.

Should i pull the coils out ?