The MT-07 Forum

Shorter Clutch Cable

Evill_Ed

• Premium Member

Has anyone found a shorter clutch cable option for our bikes? My clutch cable on my track bike is too long with the lower clip ons. I’ve played with cable routing but couldn’t come up with anything I liked.

The cable bows up and blocks the view of the dash. A shorter cable would fix this. 
I know @jb.junior said the R7 cable is approximately an inch shorter. I think 2-3 inches shorter would probably work better. 
Any suggestions how to select a shorter cable?

Ed 

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Global Moderator

MotionPro makes custom lengths and end fittings. I've bought MotionPro stuff before.

And there are some "all stainless steel cable makers, I think I looked at Venhill for a custo project.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Has anyone found a shorter clutch cable option for our bikes? My clutch cable on my track bike is too long with the lower clip ons. I’ve played with cable routing but couldn’t come up with anything I liked.

The cable bows up and blocks the view of the dash. A shorter cable would fix this. 
I know @jb.junior said the R7 cable is approximately an inch shorter. I think 2-3 inches shorter would probably work better. 
Any suggestions how to select a shorter cable?

Ed 

I haven't found one.  I just make the R7 cable work -- it's not too bad.  I lightly zip tie it out of the line of the dash.  I could take some pics next time I'm around my bike(s).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

MotionPro makes custom lengths and end fittings. I've bought MotionPro stuff before.

And there are some "all stainless steel cable makers, I think I looked at Venhill for a custo project.

I've found them unresponsive and a general PITA.  I tried to get custom  throttle cables made by them for months, to no success.  Let me know if you have better luck.

sweetscience

How long is the stock MT cable?  I got a Spears cable that is 43.5 inches end to end.  It is a new spare cable that I no longer use.  It fits a ninja 400 that I no longer have.   

On 8/17/2023 at 9:42 AM, jb.junior said:

I've found them unresponsive and a general PITA.  I tried to get custom  throttle cables made by them for months, to no success.  Let me know if you have better luck.

I had a set of pristine throttle cables for a XL500S, but I wanted replacements due to age. MotionPro didn't have them in their data base, so they would've been custom made. I don't remember exactly, but they quoted me well over $300 for the cables. I had to ship mine to them and they weren't going to return my original cables. They said they had to cut the original cables, which makes no sense to me. 

"I'm giving you pristine cables off a 1,000 mile bike to add to your data base. The least you could do is measure them without destroying them". He smugly suggested that I couldn't find anyone else to make them, and boy was he wrong. Local shop made me a pair of cables for like 50 bucks and apologized that costs had gone up. 

• Like 3

On 8/20/2023 at 8:34 PM, shinyribs said:

I had a set of pristine throttle cables for a XL500S, but I wanted replacements due to age. MotionPro didn't have them in their data base, so they would've been custom made. I don't remember exactly, but they quoted me well over $300 for the cables. I had to ship mine to them and they weren't going to return my original cables. They said they had to cut the original cables, which makes no sense to me. 

"I'm giving you pristine cables off a 1,000 mile bike to add to your data base. The least you could do is measure them without destroying them". He smugly suggested that I couldn't find anyone else to make them, and boy was he wrong. Local shop made me a pair of cables for like 50 bucks and apologized that costs had gone up. 

Sounds about right.

Local shops might be good if you have someone nearby.  I'm also thinking that this would be a relatively easy DIY similar to this video.  I don't think that the solder pot is necessary as a heat gun or solder iron should get the job done or you could probably also rig up a DIY solder pot as well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yup, this seems like the best option  

Venhill make cable kits to make your own cable. 

Definitely use a solder pot.

Most likely a winter project for me.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good"