The MT-07 Forum

Auxiliary light mounting

Zarralax

It might depend on where you are.  Here in NC we're limited by law to two headlights.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

It might depend on where you are.  Here in NC we're limited by law to two headlights.

I’m in California. Wow, didn’t even know this was a law. Looking at the law here, we are also limited to 2 headlights but I don’t consider these “headlights” do I need to mount them lower so they are not considered as “headlights”? 

ADV bikes have lights like this, no?

I don't know the answer to that.  Here I think any white light facing forward is considered to be a headlight.

PA Auxiliary Lighting codes for motorcycles:

(k)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may be installed on a motor-driven cycle or motorized pedalcycle if they comply with the following requirements:

(1)  Fog lamps shall not be substituted for headlamps except under conditions of rain or fog. Fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams.

(2)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be mounted on front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 42 inches above level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Rear fog lamps, if originally installed or offered as optional equipment, are acceptable.

(3)  Auxiliary lamps and fog lamps shall be aimed when vehicle and lamp assembly are in the straight ahead position with beam not above horizontal centerline of lamp at 25 feet.

(4)  A vehicle specified under this subchapter may have one and no more than two approved auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.

(5)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall not be placed in front of any required lamp.

(6)  A vehicle equipped with headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, or fog lamps may not have more than four forward projecting lamps illuminated at the same time.

16 minutes ago, Jerzee said:

PA Auxiliary Lighting codes for motorcycles:

(k)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may be installed on a motor-driven cycle or motorized pedalcycle if they comply with the following requirements:

(1)  Fog lamps shall not be substituted for headlamps except under conditions of rain or fog. Fog lamps may be used with lower headlamp beams.

(2)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be mounted on front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 42 inches above level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Rear fog lamps, if originally installed or offered as optional equipment, are acceptable.

(3)  Auxiliary lamps and fog lamps shall be aimed when vehicle and lamp assembly are in the straight ahead position with beam not above horizontal centerline of lamp at 25 feet.

(4)  A vehicle specified under this subchapter may have one and no more than two approved auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.

(5)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall not be placed in front of any required lamp.

(6)  A vehicle equipped with headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, or fog lamps may not have more than four forward projecting lamps illuminated at the same time.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I’m good to go in PA :)  Checking CA codes, looks like very similar laws. 

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not be lighted with the lower beam.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also be lighted with the upper beam.