The MT-07 Forum

22 MT07 Oil Pan Bolts Torque Specs/Info

mk7logan

I need to change the oil pan and gasket on my 2022 mt07 and cant find the torque spec and pattern for the 11 bolts used to screw the pan into place. Can someone point me in the direction of a link with this info?

I have a 2019 model, but the specs should be the same. This is on 5-72 in the shop manual. 7.4 ft-lb or 10 Nm.

The manual refers to this as the oil strainer. FYI, for the oil drain bolt, do not tighten to 32 ft-lb, that is overkill.oil_strainer.png.858433062a028615b6f83d8dc87b17c7.png

I'd recommend using an inch-lb torque wrench and convert the 7.4 ft-lb to inch-lb, 7.4 x 12 = 88 in-lb, because most ft-lb wrenches would have that 7.4 ft-lb value in the lower less accurate range, the lower 10% or whatever.   The 88 in-lb puts the value in the middle of the smaller in-lb wrenches with best accuracy.  Not familiar with N-m so not sure about this accuracy situation with that measure.  With no pattern shown or given I'd just do it cross pattern, probably doesn't really matter.

By the way, as noted by Tomlichu the drain bolt shows 32 ft-lb, don't do it that tight.   If you do torque it go around 15 ft-lb, which seems to be a pretty common drain bolt torque from a bit of research I did.   Most don't use a torque wrench, just using their own feel.   Added this information because either here or in the XSR forum there was discussion on the recommended torque, some riders seemed to be stripping out the pan threads trying to torque to value.  "Wet" threads affect the torque.  

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

There ya go.   A couple more options.  If one is at all worried about not being tight enough, drill the bolt for safety wire and wire it.

I've never heard of a Stat-O-Seal coming loose, since the rubber seal tends to keep the bolt from vibrating out, but of course safety wire won't hurt anything.

M. Hausknecht
43 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

I've never heard of a Stat-O-Seal coming loose, since the rubber seal tends to keep the bolt from vibrating out, but of course safety wire won't hurt anything.

Or even just a dab of silicone.....

37 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Or even just a dab of silicone.....

Yes, true.  But I'd rather just let the Stat-O-Seal do its thing.  That way there's nothing to clean or scrape each time I drain the oil.  I trust the seals alone.  I've used them on the oil injection lines on my '72 H2 for many years and they've been 100% reliable.  If anything can vibrate something loose, it's an H2.

Edited by Triple Jim

M. Hausknecht
3 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Yes, true.  But I'd rather just let the Stat-O-Seal do its thing.  That way there's nothing to clean or scrape each time I drain the oil.  I trust the seals alone.  I've used them on the oil injection lines on my '72 H2 for many years and they've been 100% reliable.  If anything can vibrate something loose, it's an H2.

Oh sorry, the dab of silicone goes on the engine case/side of bolt head. Not on the threads or face of the bolt. It's a quick/esay option when you can't safety wire right then but have to get through tech inspection. 

47 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Oh sorry, the dab of silicone goes on the engine case/side of bolt head. Not on the threads or face of the bolt. It's a quick/esay option when you can't safety wire right then but have to get through tech inspection. 

Yes, I understood that.

12 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm... H2...  ☺️

• Global Moderator
19 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

...I've used them on the oil injection lines on my '72 H2 for many years and they've been 100% reliable.  If anything can vibrate something loose, it's an H2.

Iiiaaammzzzz sstiiihhhllll sshyyaaaaakkk'inzzz...