The MT-07 Forum

Wrong Oil for my first Oil Change?

LaurenW

I am just getting into basic bike maintenance for my 2015 FZ07 and possibly made a mistake: I recently used Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Full Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil to do an oil change on my bike: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJ6VFAW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1. After doing the oil change, I checked amazon and it said this oil is not compatible with my FZ07. Since it is specific to motorcycles and it is 10W-40 which is recommended, why would this not work? I have been doing some research on oil but truly don't understand what would make this incompatible? My bike has been running fine but I do not want to do damage. Thank you all!!

That oil is fine for your motorcycle.  Don't put too much faith in the Amazon compatibility lists.

Welcome to the board, Lauren!

• Like 3

Compatability lists, as noted, aren't always accurate.   Never hurts to look up information from the source - Yamaha.  You can likely find a PDF for the owner's manual for the bike, if you don't already have one, and may be able to find a shop manual by doing some searching online.   Of course I will say too, that some user groups like this one can help quite often too, definitely on basic maintenance things.

By the way, consider including your country where you live in your membership information so it can show on your posts.   It helps with responses and isn't giving away vital information.  

• Like 1