The MT-07 Forum

Clutch stiff and not entering neutral

Andrade

Hey all. 

My clutch went to space last week, one of the discs snapped out of nowhere. I took it to a shop and the mechanic installed an aftermarket disc kit and now, the clutch is super stiff and i cannot get it into neutral if im standing still.... I tried messing with the cable and stuff but whenever i let the cable a little loose, as soon as i get the bike into gear it wants to start going by it self, even with the clutch pulled. If i thighten the cable to the point where theres no slack in the lever, the bike doesnt want to go by itself but instead the clutch is super stiff and doesnt go into neutral.

I've checked the service manual for clues, took a look at the line up marks on the crank case and everything seems to line up just fine (the arrow on the case and the dot on the pull lever). 

Can this be a quality related issue? Did the shop put in a terrible disc kit to the point that its causing these problems? 

Kinda tough one, could be a number of things.

Could be poor quality discs, could have forgot to oil them.... maybe the alignment is correct on the case but slightly off inside, maybe the mechanic missed the stack size?

Personally I'd say either send it back, or pull up the clutch threads here on the forum as guidance and tear into her yourself.

Sometimes new clutch disks have a little "hair" on their surfce, causing the plates to drag like you describe.  You may find that with a little use things get better. 

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

Suggest that if you had this done by a moto garage, take it back and show them what you described here. You can expect a biz that wants to stay in business will recognize it's unacceptable and diagnose a couple of things it could be, and then find and fix it.

You already paid for an expected result, now ask the shop to make it so

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 3:15 PM, Paulb5950 said:

Kinda tough one, could be a number of things.

Could be poor quality discs, could have forgot to oil them.... maybe the alignment is correct on the case but slightly off inside, maybe the mechanic missed the stack size?

Personally I'd say either send it back, or pull up the clutch threads here on the forum as guidance and tear into her yourself.

Hey bud, im waiting on a new set of discs and separators from yahama. I'll be doing the change myself... Im assuming they used poor quality discs. The guy at the shop said he oil'd the discs for about 2 hours before putting them in but he also said that the kit that he bought didnt come with the 2 different discs like the stock ones do.. Dunno if that makes a difference. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Suggest that if you had this done by a moto garage, take it back and show them what you described here. You can expect a biz that wants to stay in business will recognize it's unacceptable and diagnose a couple of things it could be, and then find and fix it.

You already paid for an expected result, now ask the shop to make it so

I sent it back but ended up getting a little mad and came back home lol. The dude that changed the clutch said that he installed the cover back and alligned the pull lever after putting it in, probably by removing the snap ring and changing its position. Im waiting on a new stock clutch kit from yamaha and i'll be doing the change myself. Im wondering if the pull lever could be missaligned inside the crank case or maybe some bolt is way too tight

20 hours ago, Andrade said:

I sent it back but ended up getting a little mad and came back home lol. 

I don't know where you live, but a professional shop that charged you money is supposed to do the job right or expect to be taken to small claims court and receive terrible reviews if they don't provide the service they quoted for the price they quoted.

It is understandable that you get mad, but you don't leave without resolving if they are going to take full responsibility or not.

The shop sent you a "finished product" that would eventually destroy the transmission because you wouldn't be able to change gears without completely disengaging the clutch. That should be a fairly simple conversation. if they can step up to the plate in terms of knowledge and ethical responsibility, then great. If they CAN'T and are incompetent, then i would also have taken my bike away from them but it would not stop there.

The reason people go to a "professional" is so they don't have to resolve these kind of problems. Not everyone is good at everything, so we occasionally have to hire someone that specializes such as an electrician, plumber, machine shop, etc. You took your bike there in good faith, and they did not deliver what was asked. Period. I would ask for a full refund or take them to small claims court just on the principle of the matter.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

...Not everyone is good at everything, so we occasionally have to hire someone that specializes...

Think this might be a tried it myself ...didn't quite work out. We see posts often asking for help that don't give "all the details", and after a few questions more key info shows up.

I have a lifetime full of first tries that needed some extra help, and I'm lucky to know about this forum and great people here that always help my mis-starts. 

We all are ready to help @Andrade when he asks for it

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:52 PM, Pursuvant said:

Think this might be a tried it myself ...didn't quite work out. We see posts often asking for help that don't give "all the details", and after a few questions more key info shows up.

I have a lifetime full of first tries that needed some extra help, and I'm lucky to know about this forum and great people here that always help my mis-starts. 

We all are ready to help @Andrade when he asks for it

I live in Brazil and my small city doesnt have specialized shops and adding to that, 600cc bikes and up arent so common here like they are in the US or other places, so most shops here mostly work on 125, 150, 250cc bikes, therefore the mechanics usually don't know much about mid to high cc bikes... I had to show the guy the service manual so he would believe me when i said that he should allign the pull lever marks ;) 

I took the bike and the original yamaha parts back to the same shop today and everything went acording to plan. The other clutch plate kit i had put in was trash.
Appreciate the help. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 6:55 PM, Lone Wolf said:

I don't know where you live, but a professional shop that charged you money is supposed to do the job right or expect to be taken to small claims court and receive terrible reviews if they don't provide the service they quoted for the price they quoted.

It is understandable that you get mad, but you don't leave without resolving if they are going to take full responsibility or not.

The shop sent you a "finished product" that would eventually destroy the transmission because you wouldn't be able to change gears without completely disengaging the clutch. That should be a fairly simple conversation. if they can step up to the plate in terms of knowledge and ethical responsibility, then great. If they CAN'T and are incompetent, then i would also have taken my bike away from them but it would not stop there.

The reason people go to a "professional" is so they don't have to resolve these kind of problems. Not everyone is good at everything, so we occasionally have to hire someone that specializes such as an electrician, plumber, machine shop, etc. You took your bike there in good faith, and they did not deliver what was asked. Period. I would ask for a full refund or take them to small claims court just on the principle of the matter.

I had the service redone today, everything's in working order now. Thanks mate!

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Andrade said:

I live in Brazil and my small city doesnt have specialized shops.....the mechanics....I had to show the guy the service manual so he would believe me when i said that he should allign the pull lever marks ;) 

I took the bike and the original yamaha parts back to the same shop today and everything went acording to plan. The other clutch plate kit i had put in was trash.
Appreciate the help. 

That makes complete sense, thanks for filling in the background. I'll help you any way I can amigo.