The MT-07 Forum

Handlebar question

Patticus

Hi all,

New to the forum not sure if this is the correct area, quick question regarding handlebars.

Do all aftermarket handlebar not have a threaded ends? I have hand guards on the stock one that thread into the bars but I’d like to run a lower/sportier bar so I’m over the tank more. I’ve gone through multiple threads and aftermarket bar descriptions but can’t seem to find any. I’ve seen someone had moved their cluster forward allowing them to flip the bar clamps around which apparently move the bars into a better position.

thanks!

In my experience most aftermarket bars do not have threaded ends, I can't think of any actually.

Typically you will use a universal bar end mounting system to get your bark busters/ sliders or whatever on. You can also get a tap and die set and thread the end of the bars yourself, I have done that in the past. Not terribly difficult, but can be bit more effort than it's worth imo.

As for flipping the clamps around, I'm not sure if there's much difference between years (I have a 22') but on mine I would say it would move it to much. I'm at 6' 0" and with a set of flatter and straighter bars it was plenty forward.

1 hour ago, Paulb5950 said:

In my experience most aftermarket bars do not have threaded ends, I can't think of any actually.

Typically you will use a universal bar end mounting system to get your bark busters/ sliders or whatever on. You can also get a tap and die set and thread the end of the bars yourself, I have done that in the past. Not terribly difficult, but can be bit more effort than it's worth imo.

As for flipping the clamps around, I'm not sure if there's much difference between years (I have a 22') but on mine I would say it would move it to much. I'm at 6' 0" and with a set of flatter and straighter bars it was plenty forward.

Thanks for the response.

I guess ideally different bars would just be better all around. I’ll take a look into what mounting systems there are if not just tap the new bars.

thanks!

First thing I did was replace handlebars with renthal ultra-low bar. Bar end weights I used have an expanding cone like setup that secures them in the end of the bar, no issues. Bark busters or similar hand guards should come with this mounting option. 

https://www.renthal.com/road/handlebars/7-8-handlebars?product_id=2007

44 minutes ago, wollerms said:

First thing I did was replace handlebars with renthal ultra-low bar. Bar end weights I used have an expanding cone like setup that secures them in the end of the bar, no issues. Bark busters or similar hand guards should come with this mounting option. 

https://www.renthal.com/road/handlebars/7-8-handlebars?product_id=2007

Do you still have the original rear sets? How does the riding position feel?

Yes, I have original rear sets. I ride with my toes on pegs unless I need to shift or use rear brake. I have always ridden this way regardless of bars. Position is fine to me. I hated the stock bars! My SV650 was the same and I changed those also. Note for reference I'm 5'8" 160lbs. 

• Premium Member

I ran theses for several years. I eventually built my "07" into a race bike, and got clip-ons. PM me if your interested-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"