The MT-07 Forum

Power loss while accelerating in 6th gear

canthinkofname

canthinkofname

Title speaks to the problem. 2022 mt07. While in 6th gear accelerating, the engine felt like it died around 96 mph, WOT, had a passenger on the back. I let off throttle immediately and gave it some gas again and the engine kicked back in. 

Modifications:

K&N filter

Amazon exhaust 

2wdw ecu flash.

Any ideas what could cause this? It has only happened once, but it made me lose a lot of faith in the bike. 

Probly something so simple as loose electrical connections.  I'd check the tightness of the battery cable connections.  Use 91 octane fuel, as the bike is tuned with this.  What is the payload with the passenger?  Check for exhaust leaks...

canthinkofname

I've been using 91/93. will double check the battery. OH that reminds me, i have the quad lock with charger setup on there as well. payload with passenger would have been around.. including gear, 360 lbs? I'm guessing some soapy water on the exhaust would show me a leak? Also would a leak really matter if the thing is basically straight piped anyways?

19 hours ago, sweetscience said:

Check for exhaust leaks...

Intake leaks (vacuum leak) can cause issues - exhaust leaks usually just make noise.

The behavior almost sounds like an engine that hit rev limiter, but he couldn't be high-RPM in 6th with a passenger.

My advice is to slow down with a passenger, you can ride crazy when it is just your life. I know that doesn't help your diagnostic.

• Like 3

canthinkofname
On 9/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, Lone Wolf said:

Intake leaks (vacuum leak) can cause issues - exhaust leaks usually just make noise.

The behavior almost sounds like an engine that hit rev limiter, but he couldn't be high-RPM in 6th with a passenger.

My advice is to slow down with a passenger, you can ride crazy when it is just your life. I know that doesn't help your diagnostic.

Yeah i know. I was riding with a friend on another bike in that instance, his cbr500r. He was flying. I've been kind of nervous riding like that with a passenger, or with a passenger at all, and after that i kept it down to near the speed limit. 

It did feel a bit like the bike just gave up for a second, with rev limiter doesn't it just rev bomb? This was more like it just died, but didn't actually. (Did not have to restart the engine)

6 hours ago, canthinkofname said:

It did feel a bit like the bike just gave up for a second, with rev limiter doesn't it just rev bomb? This was more like it just died, but didn't actually. (Did not have to restart the engine)

Here's an article on rev limiter.

I am no expert on how the MT-07 rev limiter works, but it feels like a loss of power.

I don't know how many miles you have on your bike, or how hard it may have been ridden - but Wide Open Throttle in 6th gear with a passenger is going to challenge the clutch. Usually when a clutch starts to show signs of needing to be replaced, it will work great in lower gears with conservative throttle. If you gun it in a higher gear the clutch may slip a bit - RPM goes up but the speed doesn't correspond like it should.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:41 PM, canthinkofname said:

Any ideas what could cause this? It has only happened once, but it made me lose a lot of faith in the bike. 

So there is a possibility that you DID hit a rev limiter during the described "While in 6th gear accelerating, the engine felt like it died around 96 mph, WOT, had a passenger on the back". 

The MT-07 has a reputation as one of the most bombproof modern motorcycles with essentially no mechanical flaws in terms of failure. 

I would not lose faith in the bike. And even if the clutch briefly slipped under extreme load, I wouldn't do anything about it until the issue repeated. I recently changed a clutch on one of my bikes because I was able to consistently reproduce a slight slip with gunning it in 4th and 5th gear. It starts with a "what was that??" and it seems normal in lower gears. Then it happens again - and you realize you may have a clutch starting to go out. It isn't black and white, it starts with light shades of grey.