The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins fork cartridge vs. Andreani fitment?

jjmaine

I went for a ride yesterday and it made me think of something.  When going over ripples or sharp quick bumps in the road it feels exactly like my front tire is over inflated.  I check my tire pressures and it is correct but thats just what it feels like now.  Would this be compression?  

Just want to confirm before I futz with it too much or end up sending the wrong cartridge out to get revalved lol. I’m guessing it is compression but only because everyone else that has issues with these it seems to be with the comp side.

• 4 months later...

A little update just so you guys know how these Andreani’s worked out.

I ended up going with 2.5w oil in the compression leg last fall and it actually felt okay but that was with the adjuster backed all the way out so it means that I basically have 0 adjustment.  Unless I want to go from “live able” to “harsher” lol.

Today I am taking the forks off and shipping the compression side (complete) fork to Traxxion to get the cart revalved which is about $200 plus shipping they said.  So fyi, if you go for the Andreani carts, just be aware they may cost you more in the end to get them working right.  To me it is worth it for my bike since my only other cart option were the Traxxion Dynamic carts which would have cost upwards of $1500 plus shipping.  They didnt have the specs on my bike so I would have had to send my forks im for install.

One other note, the number of turns that you set your adjusters to changes the fork length.  I had them both set to 4 turns of adjustment but when I added the 2.5w oil to the compression side, I changed that to 5 turns of adjustment and after setting my fork height from top cap to triple, my front axle wouldn’t go in because that fork was longer…

Can anyone recommend a good shop to get my compression cartridge revalved?

Last fall Traxxion said they could do it, send it in and we can get it done for $200

Now I guess their tech said he wants to go through both forks and it’ll cost $350 plus shipping and any new seals, bushings springs required.  I explained that everything in my forks is brand new already and that I just need the compression cart re shimmed.  

I get it though, what if my problem isn’t what I think it is, they revalve my compression cartridge and then I drag their name through the mud because my forks still don’t work good.  Completely understandable.

If anyone knows a guy or shop that could do it Id be happy to let them.  Mrp Motorsports does suspension and I emailed them to see if they’ll work on Andreani’s.  They only sell K tech, Ohlins and GP….  I’ve had them reflash my ecu in the past and they were awesome to deal with.

• 4 weeks later...
jjmaine

Last “update” and maybe some useful information for anyone needing better valving for their Andreani carts…

I ended up sending my forks to Traxxion to have the compression leg revalved and they basically did what Pattonme used to.  Replaced the valve in the compression leg and re-shimmed it.

If you have Andreani’s and were hoping Pattonme still sold kits (good luck) maybe you can get a hold of Traxxion and see if they will just sell you their Axxion valve and the necessary shim stack to install yourself.  Now that their tech has done one he should have a good idea on what is required.

On the other hand, if you are thinking about buying a set of Andreani’s and then sending your forks to Traxxion to get them installed and fixed just dont do it!  You could spend the same money and just have them install their Ak-20 cartridges and end up with a higher quality setup that works from the start.  Or get the Ohlins.  Not sure how Ohlins are valved for these bikes but on my Ninja 300 the Ohlins carts worked awesome on bumpy roads with 5 weight oil…. Anyway just a heads up🙂

My forks and the old andreani valve/shims

IMG_2430.jpeg.1648c4cf2b162df69623a324fd64944c.jpegIMG_2431.jpeg.0f19b9bcce379c3d9242afbf1387ddc4.jpeg

Just being curious.  Any idea what the traxxion piston looks like?  Do you know what changes they made to the shim stack?  I haven't had an issue with my andreani stuff but we could be riding different.  I am not pushing this bike hard at all and I tend to be the type of rider that can ride most stuff and just deal with it.  The only thing I had a real hard time adjusting to was the first gen Michelin power ones after coming off Dunlop Ntecs.  Was a season of crashing for me :(

jjmaine
Posted (edited)

I don't to be honest.  The only thing he said is that their piston has 35% larger ports which allows it to flow more fluid.  I would guess it looks similar to the Andreani valve with bigger ports?  I have not ridden with them yet but can tell that they are much more plush when pushing the front of the the bike down by hand and still plenty of adjustment.  

Edit: just found a pic on their website.  Screenshot_2024-03-17-07-57-05-76_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg.3acd9e96e3cf1bf122f9dde0d88074af.jpg

Edited by jjmaine