The MT-07 Forum

Blown motor

Tuker Leishman

Tuker Leishman

So I bought a 2016 fz07 with a blown motor with the intent to rebuild it. After tearing it down the damage is not worth repairing. So im going with a new motor. I’m having a hard time finding an exact match for a 2016 fz07. But I can get a 2023 R7 motor. I know they are both the CP2 motor but I wanted to pick some people brains about the differences in ECUs. Things I need to look out for? Stuff that would need changed? 

M, Hausknecht

The motors are essentially the same. There could be minor camshaft differences, but I haven't checked and they shouldn't matter much.  What I don't know is whether the engine's various sensors use the same connectors. I imagine they do but, even if not, you can swap your old sensors over to the "new" motor.  

The R7 motor is what, a couple thousand dollars? Why do you think the '16 motor isn't worth rebuilding? Other than trashed camshaft journals that ruin the head, or gouged cylinder walls that ruin the cylinders, everything else can be replaced (you can even get cylinder walls repaired and replated, but not cheaply).

Tuker Leishman

The only reason I say that it would be cheaper/easier to replace with an R7 motor is because I have access to buying one with 2k miles for $1600. And pretty much everything that could be ruined on my fz motor is ruined. 

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, sweetscience said:

The 2016 has ABS, yes?  Then the swap should work.

I think ABS was not available until 2017 (although I could be mistaken).  Why would that matter?  Is there an ECU difference?

• Premium Member

Only North American models didn't have ABS till till 2017 (optional).  Other markets had ABS sooner. I don't know what market OP is in.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

My understanding is the motors are the same except for the flywheel. The pick up for the crank sensor is different so the bike wont run with the R7 flywheel in it. 

• Global Moderator
19 hours ago, DewMan said:

Only North American models didn't have ABS till till 2017 (optional).  Other markets had ABS sooner. I don't know what market OP is in.

Thanks, I thought I remembered that correctly.  The OP must be in North America as he says he has an FZ, not an MT. 

• Like 1

Tuker Leishman
On 10/31/2023 at 5:28 AM, cosp600rr said:

My understanding is the motors are the same except for the flywheel. The pick up for the crank sensor is different so the bike wont run with the R7 flywheel in it. 

Why would that matter if I’m doing a complete motor swap?

Tuker Leishman
On 10/31/2023 at 5:28 AM, cosp600rr said:

And in theory if I was to swap my fz flywheel into the R7 motor (assuming it would even fit) it would work? Or could I just change out the sensor somehow?

The flywheel only has to be changed because the pick up magnets are in different places than the R7 so the bike wont run. If you by the R7 motor use the flywheel out of your FZ motor. At least thats what I was told by Matt Spicer last winter when my motor that was being refreshed was bad and the cases couldnt be used. I had a spare FZ motor so I took it apart and sent him the cases but he had an R7 motor he could sell me and told all that had to be done was swap the Flywheel. 

Tuker Leishman
8 hours ago, cosp600rr said:

The flywheel only has to be changed because the pick up magnets are in different places than the R7 so the bike wont run. If you by the R7 motor use the flywheel out of your FZ motor. At least thats what I was told by Matt Spicer last winter when my motor that was being refreshed was bad and the cases couldnt be used. I had a spare FZ motor so I took it apart and sent him the cases but he had an R7 motor he could sell me and told all that had to be done was swap the Flywheel. 

And since then everything has been running good?

4 hours ago, Tuker Leishman said:

And since then everything has been running good?

I didn't buy the R7 motor for my FZ. I had a spare motor that I took apart and sent him the cases. With doing that he offered to sell me an R7 motor so I would have a spare and he told my I would have to change the flywheel to use it. I did not buy it. 

Tuker Leishman
4 hours ago, cosp600rr said:

I didn't buy the R7 motor for my FZ. I had a spare motor that I took apart and sent him the cases. With doing that he offered to sell me an R7 motor so I would have a spare and he told my I would have to change the flywheel to use it. I did not buy it. 

Ohhh ok I see. Do you by chance if your friend Matt spicer has a Facebook or some kind of social media I could get ahold of him on? I would love to ask him a couple things before I go a buy a R7 motor for my FZ and then have it not work out.