The MT-07 Forum

Steering issues... bars pull

SirFaffer

As above.

At speed when I go to counter steer the bars want to pull back to centre and when slow speed they want to pull the direction of turning.

Pressures are fine, 36 to 38 f and 38 to 42 rear all tried.

Tyres are roadtek01 and the front is almost at the kegal limit though the profile doesn't appear over worn in the middle compared to the edges.

Bike has a yss rear shock and progressive springs plus preload adjusters in the front.

Have ridden 2x mt09, s1000xr, r1200r, er6n, r1200gs and none of them did this. It's quite pronounced.

Also to add, it doesn't want to hold a line in corners, unless I keep pressure on the bars it wants to stand up.

Cheers.

20 minutes ago, SirFaffer said:

At speed when I go to counter steer the bars want to pull back to centre and when slow speed they want to pull the direction of turning.

...the front is almost at the legal limit

How long have you had the bike? Was it always like this, or is this a new issue?

I have never seen tires wear evenly. Especially with dual compound, the softer sides get an odd profile as they are almost worn out.

Have you had this bike long enough to judge how it handles when the tires were new?

• Like 1

This seems normal to me, when the front tire is nearly worn to the indicators.  All four of my motorcycles do that with a worn front tire.

The factory pressures are 33 and 36 though, so you're running pretty high.

Edited by Triple Jim

M, Hausknecht

There are chassis geometry reasons which could explain what you're experiencing (back lower than the front, compared to stock geometry) but so can worn out tires. I'm guessing that you're running those high tire pressures because you're a bigger guy, do you have suitable springs for your weight?

Is the suspension configured properly to your weight?  ie. springs, oil, dampers.  How many miles on tyres? If old, get em rebalanced, or replaced.  Pressure's too high.