The MT-07 Forum

Stiff Throttle or bad grips?

flLen Soull

So I have recent purchased a 2022 MT07 and notice that i am getting hand cramps with using the throttle.

From my observation, its highly due to having to hold hold the throttle tighter than i would like to prevent it from decelerating from slipping in my grip.

I am not sure if the throttle is stiffer than what i am use to on my old 2020 KLX 250s or the foam like grips that are currently installed is slipping with a lighter grip. Maybe both?

Any suggestions would be helpful but, i understand this is a question that might be harder to answer when not being able to see it in person.

If your throttle is stiff, check if there are any points where your throttle is touching anything. I have heated grips, and I had to cut off the ends a little bit so the throttle would not rub into my bar end. If it is stiff in the cable, you can try lubing your throttle cable. I have the Motion Pro cable luber and it's easy to use.

However, if your grip is slipping, do your street gloves fit your hand snug? I find that if my gloves are too big, it's harder to hold the throttle due to the slack between the glove and my hands. When I ride, I tend to push the handle bars lightly and hold a "C" shape in my hands. It's more like conforming the shape of my hand to the throttle and maintaining the throttle by pushing the bars lightly. The push increases your friction force and you are not using your hand muscles as much to hold the grip.

Like @tomlichu said, maybe your bar end is too tight and it's affecting your throttle. If everything is ok on your bike and you still have cramps, I installed this little thing on my throttle and it's really a game changer for long rides. The pressure comes more from the palm of the hand and you no longer need to squeeze your fingers tightly on the handle. It really helped in my case.

61UmbVuZehL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Do you know if someone installed a "quicker" throttle tube?  It's a common mod, and reduces the amount the grip has to be turned, but at the same time it increases the amount of torque you have to apply.

@tomlichu - having a quick look it doesn't look like the grip is rubbing against anything, same with the cable. Might need to lube the cables not sure.

@Royales83 - I have seen them online, definitely something to consider once I set the bike up for longer rides for sure.

@Triple Jim - I am not sure to be honest, the guy I brought the bike off gave me an R6 tube to install, which I ended up giving to a mate to put on his bike instead.

How can I check to see if a quicker one was installed?

18 hours ago, flLen Soull said:

How can I check to see if a quicker one was installed?

OEM throttle rotates around 90 degrees. Any rotation less then 90 degrees mean that you likely have an aftermarket throttle tube.

Thicker grips out there to experiment with.  Also, you can swap to a softer pull throttle return spring.  More labor intensive, though.  Spears racing and Norton Motorsports sell them.

@tomlichu - looks like my throttle twist is less than 90 degrees from close to full throttle. So possibly after market throttle tube installed.

@sweetscience - why do you say a lighter throttle return spring is more labour intensive? Also where is that spring located?

• Premium Member

I noticed no change in throttle spring tightness when I changed from OEM (1/4 turn to full throttle) to R6  throttle tube (1/6 turn to full throttle).  FYI: Motion Pro throttle tube takes 1/5 turn to full throttle.

When you releasee the throttle grip I assume it's falling back to idle position without issue?

For my older hands I went with thicker and stickier  grips to ease the amount of grip needed on the throttle to hold it at a set speed. Just resting my palm on the top of the grip without any finger pressure is all I need to maintain throttle position.

Good luck resolving your issue.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Here, Marco Landry installs the softer throttle return spring for the R3, which is the same principle for the 07.  This mod is typically used for short throw race throttles, but still may be beneficial for stiffer stock throttles.  Hope his French-Canadian accent is discernible.  

• Global Moderator
On 11/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, Royales83 said:

... I installed this little thing on my throttle

Don't overthink this. As @Royales83 posted, this is the solution, you will wonder how you got along without it if you're in a hand fatigue / cramping situation.

Illness affecting my hands. I ride aggressively and this does not interfere with throttle manipulation. Snaps on in a second and relief

image.png.33c70be9d38cf93101cea0ed30b78c90.png

Crampbuster , cyclegear has them. Get the size STANDARD / WIDE size

@DewMan - Yeah when released it returns back to idle with no issue.
Any suggestions on the the thicker grips you are referring too?

@sweetscience - Will check this out as an option. Cheers.

@Pursuvant - Might look at something like this for sure as i do a lot of highway riding. Always up to making my rides more comfortable. 

• Premium Member
  • Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 7:38 PM, flLen Soull said:

@DewMan - Cheers. Shall order this and give them ago followed by the suggestion from Pursuvant and Royales83

@DewMan is right for thicker grips too. I have Koso Apollo heated grips and they are thicker then the OEM grips. This + the cramp buster and I rarely have pain in my hands.

• Like 1