The MT-07 Forum

Help troubleshooting water getting into intake

ChachinMoto

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum but I’ve had my ‘18 Mt 07 for a few years and I’ve put 20,000+ miles on it with no issues, except this: anytime it rains or I wash the bike, it runs rough and sometimes will even die at idle. I believe water is getting past the filter somehow. What I can’t figure out is how or if that’s actually the problem. Searching here and on google I can’t find anything but when talking to my local parts guy he says he’s heard of multiple fz/mt having the same issues.

thus far I have replaced the filter thinking that my old dirty filter was the issue, no help. I have sprayed carb cleaner around the air box to see if it revs up and thus finding a leak that is sucking water in but nothing. 

So my questions: Has anyone experienced this? If so is it a design flaw or is something broken that I’m missing? Is there a fix?

I have not experienced it with my MT-07, but in general, when moisture causes bad running, the first thing to look at is ignition and what might be arcing to ground.  If you can hose it down and get the bike into a dark garage, or hose it down at night, you might be able to see some blue sparks.

Welcome to the board, ChachinMoto!

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

I’ve been told that it could be ignition but I was only looking at my spark plug coils and they look great. I’ll give your idea a try

Did you buy the bike used or new? If used, possibly previous owner removed the snorkel on top of the airbox? No. 12 in link. You could also next time it happens check the airbox drain tube for water, no. 14 in link. Otherwise, I agree with triple Jim. 

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/5aba748287a86612183a09e4/intake 

6 hours ago, ChachinMoto said:

I’ve been told that it could be ignition but I was only looking at my spark plug coils and they look great. I’ll give your idea a try

Since these are coil-on-plug type, you may not be able to see any arcing.  It still might be worth pulling out the coils and checking to see if dirt or moisture got into that area at the spark plugs.