The MT-07 Forum

What are your gearing choices for racing and why?

Michelle

Hello!

I'm trying to learn about the different combinations of gearing that work well for the fz/mt07 on track. I want to start racing next season preferably in the superstock classes but I'm looking for a little bit more punch on corner exits and a bit more drive on the straightaways. I've already received some input on this forum but would like to hear from more people about what they prefer to run and why. What types of benefits do you obtain from running the gearing of your choice? I know these answers can get technical and complicated since a lot of factors contribute to gearing. I want to learn more so please don't hold back on details!

Thank you! 

M, Hausknecht

The racers I know on the east coast running an FZ/MT 07 or an R7 run a 15 tooth driver with 42-45 rear sprockets, except for Daytona. For your bike, max power is between 8800-9000 rpm although you can safely rev to 10,000 rpm, to avoid a quick upshift then almost immediate downshift situation, for example. At the tracks you'll race with the gearing suggested, you'll corner in either 3d or 4th gear (even with a 180/60 rear tire I use 3d gear rather than 2d for Summit Point turns 1 and 5). I suppose as a general rule, you want to run the shortest gearing you can get away with without running out of revs in 6th on the longest straight, but then there are circumstances where you might want to run taller gearing than that. For example, you might want to avoid having to upshift while still leaned over exiting a corner (or you're struggling with where to upshift between Summit Point T7-8-9). Or, you might be at a track where you don't really need 6th gear (like CMP and maybe NJMP) but want 5th gear to be just a little taller. Two other things to keep in mind. First, as you progress as a rider, your gearing needs could change as you corner faster and brake later. Second, being "off" by tooth or two with these bikes matters very little to lap times because the torque curve is so broad.

Gearing choice also impacts wheelbase, rear ride height and anti-squat behavior, and shock damping, but these are minor to imperceptible factors for most riders.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M, Hausknecht said:

The racers I know on the east coast running an FZ/MT 07 or an R7 run a 15 tooth driver with 42-45 rear sprockets, except for Daytona. For your bike, max power is between 8800-9000 rpm although you can safely rev to 10,000 rpm, to avoid a quick upshift then almost immediate downshift situation, for example. At the tracks you'll race with the gearing suggested, you'll corner in either 3d or 4th gear (even with a 180/60 rear tire I use 3d gear rather than 2d for Summit Point turns 1 and 5). I suppose as a general rule, you want to run the shortest gearing you can get away with without running out of revs in 6th on the longest straight, but then there are circumstances where you might want to run taller gearing than that. For example, you might want to avoid having to upshift while still leaned over exiting a corner (or you're struggling with where to upshift between Summit Point T7-8-9). Or, you might be at a track where you don't really need 6th gear (like CMP and maybe NJMP) but want 5th gear to be just a little taller. Two other things to keep in mind. First, as you progress as a rider, your gearing needs could change as you corner faster and brake later. Second, being "off" by tooth or two with these bikes matters very little to lap times because the torque curve is so broad.

Gearing choice also impacts wheelbase, rear ride height and anti-squat behavior, and shock damping, but these are minor to imperceptible factors for most riders.

Could you explain why everyone on the East Coast seems to go with a 15-tooth front? Does this enable more low to mid-range power but shortens the gearing so you'll be shifting more often but the bike will pull harder? Will that eliminate a higher top speed? I guess top speed doesn't matter when track straightaways are only so long. It's really the drive into, through, and out of corners that's most important with these bikes I'd assume with my experience so far. 

M, Hausknecht

I limited my comments to the east coast because I don't race on the west coast; but I've raced on all the tracks you'll race at next year. Lower gearing (a higher ratio between drive gear and driven gear) provides more torque multiplication and, therefore, faster acceleration; which you correctly note is most important with lower-powered motorcycles. Top speed isn't quite unimportant but since we spend so little time at top speed (except for really small motorcycles), what matters much more is acceleration. Taller gearing will only result in a higher top speed if the lower gearing results in your sitting at 9000rpm for a bit, instead of continuing to accelerate, and even then, depending on the track, it can be faster to run out of revs in top gear than not. Getting good, early, hard acceleration out of corners is just more important (faster lap time) than a few extra mph you reach once a lap for maybe 100 feet at the end of a straight.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 5:37 PM, M, Hausknecht said:

I limited my comments to the east coast because I don't race on the west coast; but I've raced on all the tracks you'll race at next year. Lower gearing (a higher ratio between drive gear and driven gear) provides more torque multiplication and, therefore, faster acceleration; which you correctly note is most important with lower-powered motorcycles. Top speed isn't quite unimportant but since we spend so little time at top speed (except for really small motorcycles), what matters much more is acceleration. Taller gearing will only result in a higher top speed if the lower gearing results in your sitting at 9000rpm for a bit, instead of continuing to accelerate, and even then, depending on the track, it can be faster to run out of revs in top gear than not. Getting good, early, hard acceleration out of corners is just more important (faster lap time) than a few extra mph you reach once a lap for maybe 100 feet at the end of a straight.

That makes sense thank you!