The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 with an R6 fork

bockscar

Hey guys, finally "finished" this science experiment of a bike after 6 months. I thought I would start this thread in case anyone is looking for info on the same thing. I was having trouble finding much on line when I started this conversion. HMU if you have any questions. 

11-17-2023 10-54-05 AM.png

11-17-2023 10-57-54 AM.png

• Like 5

• Global Moderator

Lots of goodness there! Why don't you start a few "how to" threads and/or at least some details & pics plz... For the "MT-07 FZ-07 Garage" sub-forum.

Looking Mint ! !  How does it feel riding after swapping USD forks? Have the handling character changed much vs OE frontend?

I'm just now searching how to do a 08-16 R6 frontend swap on my 18 MT. Would you kindly post a list of parts needed? (Except the wheels, brakes of course)

Which bearing will need to be replaced?

I also like what you did with the headlights/Turn signals. Are those headlight brackets custom made or do you have a link for it?

Much Appreciated!

Alex

On 11/17/2023 at 11:36 PM, AP996 said:

Looks good, what rear shock are you using?

Here is some info on the shock, its a CBR600RR shock (got the idea to use it on this forum) but the only issue is the piggy back doesn't fit. I chopped it off, rewelded it at a good angle, and rebuilt the shock. It works well and was cheap, the only problem is I guessed at the oil weight at 3WT, and its too light, need to pull it off and rebuild with 5 or 7. 

11-30-2023 5-56-03 PM.png

11-30-2023 5-55-11 PM.png

11-30-2023 5-58-38 PM.png

On 11/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, Alex MT said:

Looking Mint ! !  How does it feel riding after swapping USD forks? Have the handling character changed much vs OE frontend?

I'm just now searching how to do a 08-16 R6 frontend swap on my 18 MT. Would you kindly post a list of parts needed? (Except the wheels, brakes of course)

Which bearing will need to be replaced?

I also like what you did with the headlights/Turn signals. Are those headlight brackets custom made or do you have a link for it?

Much Appreciated!

Alex

thanks! I can't really comment too much on the ride feel, I have just taken it on one rather chill street ride since getting it put together, and I feel like I need to take the bike to the track and push the limit to really see if there is a difference. Also I haven't done much in terms of setup yet. 

Putting that fork on in the first place was inspired by taking the bike to track days and not having anything to adjust on the OEM fork, which was frustrating. 

Wheel bearings, yeah I will get into that...

Here are the lights and brackets. The brackets are parts I made on SendCutSend and some 3D printed bits. They are still a bit rough, I need to make the "final" ones still. 

11-30-2023 6-05-00 PM.jpg

11-30-2023 6-04-38 PM.jpg

11-30-2023 6-03-51 PM.jpg

If you get an R6 fork, and you want to make things easy, get an R6 front wheel too. 

If you want to use the FZ07 wheel, you have to get custom non-standard wheel bearings and custom spacers. 

This is because the R6 front axle size is 22mm where the FZ07 is 17mm. A standard 22mm ID bearing will have an OD of 44 not 40 like the 17mm ID bearing. 

This was the hardest part to track down, but I found them on AliExpress. I made my own spacers on a lathe, also made my own center spacer with the larger OD of 22mm. I am not running seals outside the bearings, since the bearings are sealed and I only ride this bike about 1k miles a year and never in rain. 

11-30-2023 6-07-42 PM.jpg

M, Hausknecht

I wonder how your shock and fork changes have changed the bike's chassis geometry. So, I hope you'll indulge my curiosity.  Assuming you're using the stock shock linkages, how does the length of the CBR shock compare to the stock shock? If the rear ride height is higher (longer shock) or lower (shorter shock) do you know how much? Looks like you're using a 180/55 rear tire, right?

If I recollect correctly, R6 forks come in at least two different lengths, and both (or all three) lengths are shorter than the 07 forks. Which R6 forks are you using and do you know how much shorter they are? It looks like you're using the stock R6 triples, do you know the fork offset and how your front trail compares to stock? Is your front ride height lower than stock?

15 hours ago, bockscar said:

Here is some info on the shock, its a CBR600RR shock (got the idea to use it on this forum

Yes I also saw that thread, good and cheap way to improve on the poor standard shock, looks like you made a nice job of it.

9 hours ago, M, Hausknecht said:

I wonder how your shock and fork changes have changed the bike's chassis geometry. So, I hope you'll indulge my curiosity.  Assuming you're using the stock shock linkages, how does the length of the CBR shock compare to the stock shock? If the rear ride height is higher (longer shock) or lower (shorter shock) do you know how much? Looks like you're using a 180/55 rear tire, right?

If I recollect correctly, R6 forks come in at least two different lengths, and both (or all three) lengths are shorter than the 07 forks. Which R6 forks are you using and do you know how much shorter they are? It looks like you're using the stock R6 triples, do you know the fork offset and how your front trail compares to stock? Is your front ride height lower than stock?

The CBR600RR shock is the same i-2-i as the stock FZ07 shock: 310mm. So that shouldn't effect the geometry at all. I think that is why that shock is ideal to adapt to the FZ07: same i-2-i and also has a clevis on the swing arm end. The suspension links on my bike are all stock still. I want to make a CNCed adjustable one, just haven't gotten to that project yet. 

As for the fork geometry, I should measure the axle to top on the R6 fork, I haven't done that yet. I am sure the geo is something different than the stock bike, whatever it is, I haven't tried to figure that out yet. If anything its steeper than the stock setup, but for mostly track riding, that would be a benefit. I would try and measure the fork angle, but my garage is not very level, I will have to do it next time I have the bike in a level place...

Thanks for your reply!!

As for the front wheel bearing I will just go with an R6 wheel as it seems like less work to do.(If I'm not wrong the R6 front wheel is a bit lighter than stock MT wheel)

What I'm confused at are the top and lower bearings on the frame. In order to fit R6 forks and lower triple tree with stem I'll need both top and lower bearing pull out and replaced? Got any idea on what bearing do I need? 

Thanks in advance!

On 12/2/2023 at 1:28 PM, Alex MT said:

Thanks for your reply!!

As for the front wheel bearing I will just go with an R6 wheel as it seems like less work to do.(If I'm not wrong the R6 front wheel is a bit lighter than stock MT wheel)

What I'm confused at are the top and lower bearings on the frame. In order to fit R6 forks and lower triple tree with stem I'll need both top and lower bearing pull out and replaced? Got any idea on what bearing do I need? 

Thanks in advance!

Go here: 

https://www.allballsracing.com/

Order this:

99-3540-5

99-3538

Also get this:

Motion Pro 08-0550 Steering Head Bearing Race Driver Set

• 3 weeks later...
M, Hausknecht
2 hours ago, k2e2vin said:

Did the front rotors just swap over?  No issues with offset?

The 07 brake discs are too small in diameter to work with the R6 forks and calipers. Offset isn't an issue when you use the R6 front wheel; the 07 front wheel doesn't fit correctly.

1 hour ago, M, Hausknecht said:

The 07 brake discs are too small in diameter to work with the R6 forks and calipers. Offset isn't an issue when you use the R6 front wheel; the 07 front wheel doesn't fit correctly.

OP has 07 wheels on with the R6 Forks

M, Hausknecht

Yer right, my mistake. But note, not only did he have to replace the wheel bearings, but he made new spacers as well. The disc spacing differs between the 07 and R6 wheels as well as the disc diameter.

Any idea on the difference in disc offset?  The wheel spacers and bearings doesn't seem too bad(I have some hobby machinists that have lathes), but milling the wheel would probably be too much for me.

M, Hausknecht
13 hours ago, k2e2vin said:

Any idea on the difference in disc offset?  The wheel spacers and bearings doesn't seem too bad(I have some hobby machinists that have lathes), but milling the wheel would probably be too much for me.

I seem to recall reading that the difference is a few millimeters. If you have to pay to have spacers made and, of course, buy the bearings, you might spend less for a used R6 front wheel. I see them on eBay for less than $200. Moreover, since you'll need calipers and discs, a suitable front master cylinder, and clip-ons as well, the most economic option is likely to be a used complete front end off an R6. The offset with R6 triples won't be ideal, especially considering the R6 forks are shorter than 07 forks, but at least some folks who have done the swap say they are pleased with the outcome.   

On 12/27/2023 at 2:34 AM, k2e2vin said:

Did the front rotors just swap over?  No issues with offset?

You cannot use the stock FZ07 front rotors since they are 280mm and the R6 rotors are 310mm. I used some 310 rotors I got on Ali Express, instead of OEM replacement R6 rotors, since they were much cheaper. 

The Ali Express rotors I got needed a washer behind the rotors to get it all to fit correctly. So they needed to be spaced farther out by ~1-1.5mm or so. Luckily they needed to be spaced out not in. Since I got rotors off of Ali Express, I can't say if OEM R^ rotors would need the same spacing, since I don't know if these rotors I have are an exact dimensional copy of the OEM R6 rotors or not. 

At some point, my plan is to remove the washers and replace them with a laser cut spacer that contacts more of the wheel, but I am not in any real hurry to do that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpeg.a486b62b2fdaf2b65aa6d0f8745b9b60.jpeg

recently swapped to an underslung Brembo P32 rear caliper. I figured the brake would feel the same, but it is surprisingly stiffer and more positive. Also more powerful, which I could do without, but easier to modulate due to being a stiffer feel. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bockscar said:

image.jpeg.a486b62b2fdaf2b65aa6d0f8745b9b60.jpeg

recently swapped to an underslung Brembo P32 rear caliper. I figured the brake would feel the same, but it is surprisingly stiffer and more positive. Also more powerful, which I could do without, but easier to modulate due to being a stiffer feel. 

Robem caliper mount?

Where did you buy the caliper?

Which rear brake line are you using?

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good"