The MT-07 Forum

First time racing fees and licensing

Michelle

Hello! Can someone provide me some info on East Coast CCS/ASRA and WERA certification process and fees? 

So I'm having a difficult time finding pricing and dates for licensing. I was planning on getting online certified through MotoGladiator. I know they have an online certification on EvolveGT's website. After that does Motogladiator do actual licensing during a trackday or do I need to find a different org? I know CCS accepts race licensing from Motogladiator (I'm not sure about WERA) but are they accepting only the EvolveGT online certification or do I also need to have an in-person licensing at a trackday through MotoGladiator after completing the online certification from EvolveGT? Also, What's the latest date I can buy my 2024 license for CCS/ASRA and WERA? I'm also struggling to find info on this. I won't be able to do my first trackday for 2024 until late April/ early May. So am I able to get licensed in May 2024 for the 2024 season? Sorry for all of the questions I'm a first-time racer and the only one trying to race in my area. All of this has been confusing to learn on my own. 

Now talking about fees. I remember the EvolveGT online race certification being around I think $165-$170. How much does a CCS/ASRA license usually cost? I think I saw on WERA's website that first-time racers are $90 for a 1-year license and $50 for an AMA membership. And typically how much does it usually cost per racing class? For example, I have a 2016 FZ07 I'm planning on riding in the lightweight super stock and modified twin classes. So how much does it typically run for a practice day. And how much does it usually cost per race day for these racing organizations? Is it usually around $200 for a practice day and around $100 per race on racing day? I know each track varies on pricing along with race classes but having approximations would be very helpful for budgeting. 

Thank you! 

M, Hausknecht

WERA will accept the Motogladiator school/license. As you note, the MG school includes an on-line workbook with a test, but you must also complete a "mock race" for race school students, so you'll at least need to attend an Evolve GT track day. Another option is to do the WERA race school on a Saturday, and then assuming you complete the paper test and the mock race, you get your provisional novice license so you can enter races on Sunday. If I recall correctly, WERA provides a bit of  discount for new racers but check their website.  I'd go that route, as I did long ago, because you can get your license and race on the same weekend. All the cost info for licenses and entry fees is on the relevant websites. Race and practice day fees  vary somewhat based on the cost of track rental. WERA licenses are 12 months, so start yours when you register for the race school (AMA membership too). I won't comment on ASRA/CCS because I haven't raced with them in forever (some common ownership these days between Evolve GT/MG and ASRA/CCS.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I never raced with those organizations. I did race with CRA (central road racing association) at BIR only. We are another club organization based in the upper midwest. I've found a budget that works for me. I figured about $1K per race weekend.... That's everything/all-in: tires, fuel, gate fees, practice sessions, race entrance fees, camping, etc. I know our club makes it REALLY easy (financially) to get your race license. It's $250 for classroom instruction on Friday morning (of a race weekend), afternoon practice with coaches (including mock "starts"), and then the new-riders race at the end of the day. That $250 also gets you a rental transponder, that you can use for the whole weekend. You can race Saturday and Sunday that same weekend. My "gut" says, if WERA/CCS offers something similar, I'd go that route. I know our club has reciprocity with CCS, and I think WERA too???.

I'm not racing in 2024, I'm 54 years old, and pretty beat-up.... I still remain very active in the club doing tech/inspection. I wish you the best, learn what you can, and don't be in a rush to get your white plates.... Oh, don't forget to have FUN!!!! That's why we all started down this road-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 6:17 PM, cornerslider said:

I never raced with those organizations. I did race with CRA (central road racing association) at BIR only. We are another club organization based in the upper midwest. I've found a budget that works for me. I figured about $1K per race weekend.... That's everything/all-in: tires, fuel, gate fees, practice sessions, race entrance fees, camping, etc. I know our club makes it REALLY easy (financially) to get your race license. It's $250 for classroom instruction on Friday morning (of a race weekend), afternoon practice with coaches (including mock "starts"), and then the new-riders race at the end of the day. That $250 also gets you a rental transponder, that you can use for the whole weekend. You can race Saturday and Sunday that same weekend. My "gut" says, if WERA/CCS offers something similar, I'd go that route. I know our club has reciprocity with CCS, and I think WERA too???.

I'm not racing in 2024, I'm 54 years old, and pretty beat-up.... I still remain very active in the club doing tech/inspection. I wish you the best, learn what you can, and don't be in a rush to get your white plates.... Oh, don't forget to have FUN!!!! That's why we all started down this road-

Thank you! What type of racing classes did you start with on your fz07 and how many roughly did you do each weekend when you first started? 

On 12/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, M, Hausknecht said:

WERA will accept the Motogladiator school/license. As you note, the MG school includes an on-line workbook with a test, but you must also complete a "mock race" for race school students, so you'll at least need to attend an Evolve GT track day. Another option is to do the WERA race school on a Saturday, and then assuming you complete the paper test and the mock race, you get your provisional novice license so you can enter races on Sunday. If I recall correctly, WERA provides a bit of  discount for new racers but check their website.  I'd go that route, as I did long ago, because you can get your license and race on the same weekend. All the cost info for licenses and entry fees is on the relevant websites. Race and practice day fees  vary somewhat based on the cost of track rental. WERA licenses are 12 months, so start yours when you register for the race school (AMA membership too). I won't comment on ASRA/CCS because I haven't raced with them in forever (some common ownership these days between Evolve GT/MG and ASRA/CCS.

Thank you! 

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 1/11/2024 at 8:36 AM, Michelle said:

Thank you! What type of racing classes did you start with on your fz07 and how many roughly did you do each weekend when you first started? 

I usually did Friday all-day practice, and 2-3 races Saturday & Sunday. I always ran lightweight superbike, and then either super-twins, and/or formula 40 (the vet class for the 40+ crowd). I don’t enjoy running back-to-back races. As long as the given race schedule allowed, I’d do three races a day. That was plenty for me 😎….

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

30 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I usually did Friday all-day practice, and 2-3 races Saturday & Sunday. I always ran lightweight superbike, and then either super-twins, and/or formula 40 (the vet class for the 40+ crowd). I don’t enjoy running back-to-back races. As long as the given race schedule allowed, I’d do three races a day. That was plenty for me 😎….

Ok awesome I think that's my plan too. I've talked to guys who try to do over 4 a day and I always felt like that would be too much for me. Thank you for your response!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another option for getting your license is doing the MARRC (mid-Atlantic road racing club) school.  It is well run and the day prior to the ASRA/CCS rounds at Summit Point. So I think it’s May 24th, June 14th this year Feel free to message me if you’re interested.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 6:16 PM, Tpadden said:

Another option for getting your license is doing the MARRC (mid-Atlantic road racing club) school.  It is well run and the day prior to the ASRA/CCS rounds at Summit Point. So I think it’s May 24th, June 14th this year Feel free to message me if you’re interested.

Thanks! Still waiting for some more track day and race orgs to post schedules. Once they do I might be interested in either one of those Fridays before race weekend at Summit. So I'll probably be reaching out in the next few weeks! 

Do you know how quickly their classes fill up? I'm strongly considering their June date after looking at their website but how early should I register? 

Edited by Michelle

I don’t think the race school will fill up on either date, the trackday race groups might but not the school.  It’s ran like a typical trackday but people taking the school have classroom sessions between sessions.  Normally 1 coach on track for every few people taking the school, depending on attendance you could possibly end up with one on one coaching . There’s  a written test and mock race at the end of the day.

14 hours ago, Tpadden said:

I don’t think the race school will fill up on either date, the trackday race groups might but not the school.  It’s ran like a typical trackday but people taking the school have classroom sessions between sessions.  Normally 1 coach on track for every few people taking the school, depending on attendance you could possibly end up with one on one coaching . There’s  a written test and mock race at the end of the day.

Ok, awesome! So I don't have to worry about signing up until closer to the date. I wasn't sure if it was something that fills up so quickly you have to reserve a month or two ahead. After the race school on Friday can you then participate in the CCS races that go on during that weekend? 

18 hours ago, Michelle said:

Ok, awesome! So I don't have to worry about signing up until closer to the date. I wasn't sure if it was something that fills up so quickly you have to reserve a month or two ahead. After the race school on Friday can you then participate in the CCS races that go on during that weekend? 

Yup, complete the school on Friday, then race that same weekend.

• Like 1