The MT-07 Forum

Results of doing the Dave Moss fork mod.

Nucking Foob

For context, I am ~81kg with gear.

First, I replaced the fork oil with Maxima 20W. The result was exactly as depicted in this video about the SV650. Then, I cut down the preload spacers by 9mm. I carefully cut off 8mm with an electric cut-off tool by hand, then filed down the spacers. I stopped filing at 9mm instead of the intended 10mm since it was taking too long.

After putting the forks back together, I noticed a slight difference in the riding characteristics: the ride was a bit more comfortable over bumps, and the bike turned in a little more easily. As far as railing through corners, the stability was mildly improved since I noticed less juddering of the front wheel when taking a corner hard, however I don't know if this was due to my tire pressure, road conditions, temperature, etc. I also noticed that I am using more of the fork travel. Whereas before this mod I used a maximum of  85mm of fork travel when riding aggressively in the twisties, I now use more like 100mm. 

Overall I would say that these two mods, 20W fork oil and shortening the preload spacers, are worth it if you have the capability to these things yourself. But in all honesty, it is only a mild difference. It will not make the bike feel like its on rails. 

Edited by Nucking Foob

If you want to add adjustable preload caps to your forks, just use a large pipe-cutter to cut the preload spacers to length to offset the adjusters and its range of height.  Best thing I did was buy the fork maintenance tool from Motion Pro.  It's basically a fancy vise for motorcycle forks.  Makes fork work so much easier. 

If you're looking for the next step, just short of full on cartridges, I recommend the Traxxion Dynamics AR25 damper rod kit.  They do all the math and voodoo to get what you want out of the forks.     

Any thoughts on the following list I thought of? Here goes:

Levels of MT07 fork modding:

1. Level 1: Do nothing! Accept the poorly designed stock damper rod suspension. Yes, this is annoying, especially since their competitors, namely Kawasaki, has managed to equip their bikes with the same tier of damper rod suspension, yet Kawi’s bikes feel like they are on rails compared to the MT07. But, at least you will not face the anguish spending your hard-earned cash and time on trying to improve the front suspension.

2. Dave Moss fork mod: see above

3. Progressive Monotube Cartridge Kit (I have gone down this route): Of note here is zero damping adjustability. In my experience, the forks only used half of their available travel. It was as if compression was too restricted or the springs were too stiff. I believe this could be solved with a lower spring-rate fork spring, however the zero adjustability also includes this: the progressive rate springs are not changeable, and those springs are most likely meant for a 200 lb+ (91 kg+) rider. As far as the inner workings, it is a gas-emulsion shock, the same thing you would find in a motorcycle rear shock. 

4. Drop in emulator: I have zero experience with this route, but I hear good things. The downsides from my understanding is that the damping is non-adjustable once the forks are back together. High speed comp can be adjusted with the tightening the bolt on the emulator, which in turn preloads the spring resting on the high speed shim. Low speed comp is a fixed orifice. Rebound damping is also a fixed orifice via the stock damper rod’s rebound orifice, and this can only be adjusted by changing the fork oil weight. Disregarding all the jargon, the rundown is this is a good solution to having a more comfortable and controlled ride. Traxxion AR-25: This kit is a set of damper rods with a high speed compression shim stack attached to it, just like drop in emulators. The advantage of this kit over emulators is that springs are included and valving is matched to your weight and riding style out of the box, and there is no need to drill out your stock damper rods' compression orifices. No adjustability. This kit should be a step above stock in terms of comfort and control. According to Traxxion, having no high speed rebound valving is not an issue with street/commuting riding.

5. Cartridge kits: Ohlins, K-Tech, etc: Haha I wish I could get something on this level, but besides its high cost, it also requires special tools and modification to install. The Ohlins, although simply a drop in kit, may need re-valving/lower weight oil on the compression side because people say high speed comp is too stiff. K-tech requires grinding away of the lip around the fork tube end. $1k on front suspension alone is a bit much, but its better than spending cash on an exhaust and anodized bits.
Edited by Nucking Foob
  • Like 1

M, Hausknecht

I concur with your list and your thoughts on each. I've used Gold Valve Emulators in other bikes with damper rods and been pleased with the results but, admittedly, it takes a bit of effort to get the damping right for you. The cartridge kits are, obviously, much easier to adjust, and the quality of the damping is far superior to any of the other options. The excessive compression damping with the Ohlins carts can be easily addressed by using 2.5wt fork oil in the compression leg, rather than the recommended 5wt.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
On 12/26/2023 at 7:37 AM, M, Hausknecht said:

...The excessive compression damping with the Ohlins carts can be easily addressed by using 2.5wt fork oil in the compression leg, rather than the recommended 5wt.

@M. Hausknecht is pointing out a "subtle" technique for addressing fine tuning, the variation of viscosity and/or level of spring force between a paired set of forks.

I found for street use the Nix-22 cartridges & springs easy external adjustment encompassed any setup I want to configure (don't worry about fine tuning NIX for street). I have saved settings for sport, comfort, and two up I can set the night before a ride by simple clicking the settings and some times taking a few minutes to adjust spring preload with spanners. Easy peezy. OEM suspension solved.

You'll probably only see fast track guys like @M. Hausknecht running those subtle changes because they're the only ones who can feel the need/the difference those fine tuning changes deliver (tenths of a second lower lap times).

Sometime in your life you really need to upgrade an OEM bike with top quality race bred cartridges, sized by the makers/a top pro for YOU, and it will change how you feel and talk about all the bikes you've ever owned. My opin is just do it and come back and tell us about it. Life's an opportunity not a problem.

• Like 2

Nucking Foob
Posted (edited)

Following up on my experience with the Dave Moss fork mod, I have measured my new sag figures (179lb, 81kg). Under the bike's weight alone, the forks are now sagging 25mm (1 inch free sag). When I sit on the bike, it sags an additional 13mm (0.5 inches), for a grand total sag 38mm (1.5 inches) of sag. 25mm of free sag seems excessive, and it makes sense because I have removed much preload. And 13mm static sag seems too little. My conclusion is that perhaps the spring rate is too high. RaceTech's online spring rate calculator says my spring rate should be 0.80 kg/mm rather than the stock 0.88 (?) kg/mm.

I ordered the Traxxion AR-25, hoping that the included springs and spacers will be a better fit for me. Plus, I am looking forward to having high speed compression damping.

Edited by Nucking Foob

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Good call on pulling-the-trigger on the AR-25 kit!!!! This is money well spent.... Traxxion-Dynamics is a REALLY good company, and they do a great job of setting you up for success. I run the same kit, and added preload adjusters as well. Honestly.... I've messed around with them, but ended up right back where Traxxioin-Dynamics suggested. Dave Moss is a YouTube marketing genius. Why is no race team hiring him for their race program??? Because, he baits people that don't know any better into thinking a 10mm spacer mod will solve all their front end problems 🤣-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"