The MT-07 Forum

Short rider on an MT07....

han46

Hi, 

I'm not new to riding but new to the MT07. I'm short. Annoyingly so....  I'm 5 ft 2 with short legs and a long back. My first bike was a z650 which was fun but even lowered I was up on the top of my tiptoes if that makes sense and I got fed up in the end of wibbling at junctions etc. 

I've been told the MT07 can be lowered by a good inch or so, I'm going to have a look at a new one tomorrow which will be standard height. Are any of you short like me and comfortably riding the MT07? 

I'm worried I'll fall in love and buy it and spend the rest of my life wibbling and whining about it.....

• Like 1

I've never been one to suggest lowering a bike.  A lot of times it destroys the handling.  Once you're rolling the height shouldn't be an issue at all.  I am not much taller then you so I know the pain.  I'm sure I was pretty pathetic looking trying to launch my supermoto off the line.  Being comfortable with using 1 foot was the route I went.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, I don't mind one foot but I had a couple of falls at a stop where I put a foot down and went in a pothole etc. I ride in all weather so the rainwater hid the pothole and whoosh! Over I went.

• Like 1

My daughter is 5'3" and rides my stock MT-07 easily.  She doesn't have particularly short legs in proportion to her height though.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

Thanks, that's good to hear! I couldnt test ride the bike today because of the high winds, they weren't letting anyone ride which is fair enough so I'm going back next week to make my mind up but I'm pretty certain I'm going for it.

• Like 1

I think there is no substitution for sitting on the bike and trying it. In your favour is a comparatively light bike and reasonable height seat. But....

I have lowered a bike with success. So long as you lower the front too the handling should not be noticeably affected.

Edited by robbo10

Just do it! 

You can get a link that will allow you to lower the rear, probably around 2".   The front can likely be lowered by an inch sliding the stanchion tubes up in the triple clamps.  If you keep the drop equal front to back handling will not vary by any noticeable amount, unless you're a peg dragger, then you may ground out sooner.

There is so much clearance on the back that a 2" drop probably wouldn't be a problem with hitting the inner fender.  The front can be more of a problem if dropped more than abut an inch I think the fender will hit under the triple clamp.  If only the rear is lowered the handling will be affected, slowing the feel of the bike.   Same if the changes are unequal.  I raised the stanchion tubes in the clamps on my XSR to make turn in a bit quicker.  

The front could be dropped more by reducing fork travel with a spacer in the forks to restrict travel.  If I wanted to drop the bike 2" I'd use a link and put a spacer in the forks to shorten travel in the front.  This kind of change isn't unusual on flat track motorcycle suspension, using travel limiting in both the forks and the shock absorber.

As with any suspension changes you would want to be careful starting out riding the bike to find out what the handling is like.  You need to see how it works.

• Like 1

When I am on a tall motorcycle I wear Chippewa Logger boots with about 2" heel. Got a mint pair on Ebay in my size, they were a bit loose, put in some height increasing insoles from Amazon. Gives you a lot more confidence.

I got the Chippewa Logger Style 73015 (they are all pretty similar). They have tall heels and a tall front sole with a lot of deep texture. They are recessed where the footpeg sits in front of the heel. 

Or, if you can afford it, Daytona makes height increasing motorcycle boots.

Chippewa Forum.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf

FZ not MT
On 12/27/2023 at 3:35 PM, han46 said:

Are any of you short like me and comfortably riding the MT07? 

You might want to check this out. I have one on my FZ-07, and it's great. It says it works for the R7, but have no idea on a clevis-style shock. It might be worth contacting them. The workmanship on this link is outstanding.

I would highly recommend getting it with the bearings installed. The $250 is in Aussie dollars which works out to $166 US, so the hit isn't too bad.

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn MT07, FZ-07 XSR700, Tracer & R7 Jack Up / Lowering link. Performance Motorcycle Accessories, Ninja H2 intercooler kit, MT-FZ Turbo Kit and stunt bike parts from Extreme Creations

Adjustable Rear suspension (Dogbone) plates for MT-07, FZ-07, XSR700 & Tracer fits all year models including 2021...

FZ not MT
On 12/27/2023 at 3:35 PM, han46 said:

Are any of you short like me and comfortably riding the MT07? 

You might want to check this out. I have one on my FZ-07, and it's great. It says it works for the R7, but have no idea on a clevis-style shock. It might be worth contacting them. The workmanship on this link is outstanding.

I would highly recommend getting it with the bearings installed. The $250 is in Aussie dollars which works out to $166 US, so the hit isn't too bad.

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn MT07, FZ-07 XSR700, Tracer & R7 Jack Up / Lowering link. Performance Motorcycle Accessories, Ninja H2 intercooler kit, MT-FZ Turbo Kit and stunt bike parts from Extreme Creations

Adjustable Rear suspension (Dogbone) plates for MT-07, FZ-07, XSR700 & Tracer fits all year models including 2021...

What's your inseam?

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.