The MT-07 Forum

How many miles does the MT 07 typically last?

STX Truck

STX Truck

Hello,

I just purchased a used 2022 MT 07 with 800 miles. How many miles should I hope to get out of this before major repairs? I will never perform wheelies or take it to the track. I plan to daily ride it to work in AZ in the fall through spring, ~40 highway miles each way. Then some weekends and evenings year round.

I plan to follow the owners manual for all maintenance. Probably do it myself with youtube assistance. I am new to bikes, but have done most repairs on my cars/trucks for years. 

Thanks!

pepperona

Anecdotal but I have a friend who is second owner of his 2016 FZ. Got it around 5k and is reaching 30k now with nothing but tires, oil, sprockets and chain. Has not checked valves or done spark plugs yet. Bike has an exhaust and tune as well. Runs great, but his dash sometimes doesn't work.

M, Hausknecht

With regular oil and filter changes and otherwise following OEM recommended maintenance, there are 07s with over 80,000 miles. Forks, shocks, tires, chain and sprockets, and brake pads and discs (eventually) wear out but the motor should last with maintenance.

wollerms

Should last like a car so long as you do proper maintenance.

New to bikes, my advice is to take an MSF course, practice emergency braking, know what counter steering is and practice it, buy a good helmet, boots, jacket, gloves, do not trust that other drivers see you, don't skimp on tires, leave a good gap in traffic, and wow there is so much more. 

https://msf-usa.org/

• Like 4

My 2016 MT-07 has 70'000. Last year replace of fork seals, nothing else to repair til now. Maintenance according to Yamaha-plan. After valve clearance last year runs better than new. I will ride it the next 40'000 miles 😊

• Like 3

Triple Jim
10 hours ago, wollerms said:

Should last like a car so long as you do proper maintenance.

New to bikes, my advice is to take an MSF course, practice emergency braking, know what counter steering is and practice it, buy a good helmet, boots, jacket, gloves, do not trust that other drivers see you, don't skimp on tires, leave a good gap in traffic, and wow there is so much more. 

That's all good advice.  In fact I usually tell folks, "Assume that no driver ever sees you... you're invisible."

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

My 2019 is at 86K and the only surprise part that needed replaced was a fuel pump when I was around 60k.

I take above average maintenance care, but not much more than that.

And I run the ever living hell out of it at least once a week, call it an Italian tuneup

• Like 2

sweetscience

A tried and true engine with a 10 year history.  One reason I got one.  

Ear plugs are important and mandatory to block wind noise.  Those disposable foam type suit me best.  Also, touring windscreens can reduce wind fatigue.  Brands like Puig, Zero Gravity, etc. are good. 

• Like 2

STX Truck

Thank you everyone for the great advice!

I completed a MSF course before even getting on the bike a few weeks ago. It was the best way to start for sure! There was so much I had never considered about riding safely.