The MT-07 Forum

Indicator issue

Mac Tech 07

Mac Tech 07

Hi,

hoping for some help here, today my indicators started playing up out of nowhere, guessing rain has got into aftermarket integrated tail light as can see lots of condensation internally.

the rear left indicator does not work even direct to 12v, so that’s definitely damaged and to be replaced.

now when I remove the rear Aftermarket light and the front aftermarket led integrated led headlight, the indicators flash left and right in the cluster as normal. Once I connect the front only the indicators work but have to keep flicking the switch 4/5 times and it will come on as normal, sometimes the indicator light on the cluster and the actual indicator flash dimly, but mostly works as normal when you get it to flash by flicking and pressing the indicator switch on handlebar.

hoping my front light isn’t the culprit as I only bought and installed it in may 23. 

the thing that’s puzzling me is the hazard switch works everytime with front light connected but indicators have issues only.

some people say could be relay? Does this sound like it could be? I doubt it’s the front light as it functions as normal when hazards are on, or you get the indicators working with the 4/5 switch method.

any advice in advance for me stripping it down tomorrow would be appreciated. I have already checked all connectors for water logging but it’s all clear, not checked the relay yet.

thanks in advance.

Mac Tech 07

FYI, the front light also works when connecting each indicator, drl and full beam etc separately.

Mac Tech 07
Posted (edited)

I have new flasher relay coming tomorrow.

I’m gonna strip it down and trace the indicator cables.

Currently I have removed rear indicators due to them not working when directly connected to 12v. Kept brake light on until rear light comes, need a brake light at least!

Front indicators work when impressed left and right on first use, then pressed off and now don’t work one way but other works, then press off again and they both don’t work, then left works and right don’t.

sometimes you can see the led on the cluster illuminate slightly like it trying to come on.

hazards switch always works both front indicators as normal.

Thinking this may actually be a handlebar switch issue? 

I will post the outcome after the testing tomorrow, but if anyone lease has anything I could try whilst my bike is apart then feel free to give it a mention.

i have also checked fuses including the parking fuse.

I also have my old headlight and separate indicators I will try to, this will rule out the LED headlamp too.

Edited by Mac Tech 07
Updated

Mac Tech 07

Ok first inspection was the easiest first, removed the handlebar switch and disassembled to find grease over the indicator sliding pads.

gave it a good scrub and a little sand just to refresh the layer a bit.

re-assembled and now works everytime! So it was the switch. Hopefully this resolves someone’s issues in the future.

IMG_3543.jpeg

• Like 1

sweetscience

If the bike goes through frequent rain and washing, it's probably a good idea to check for grime and corrosion at the starter switch as well.   

Mac Tech 07
Posted (edited)

I live in Manchester where the rain never bloody stops and ride it daily. 

I do foam wash it every 1-2 weeks properly, hate it being dirty I treat it like my child haha.

I’ve just rebuilt the front forks too, going to take all the fairings off tomorrow and give it a good clean I think.

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2308.jpeg

Edited by Mac Tech 07
Edited