The MT-07 Forum

Powder coating rearset

jreed

Hello,

I am looking at getting the silver rearset powder coated, on the footpeg mounting plate there are 2 rubber dampeners I have tried to push out thinking they are separate parts but they appear to be one whole piece. Has anyone replaced or popped these out before? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers. 

17045648227058262529332954004961.jpg

17045649897906551542671114003461.jpg

Edited by jreed

Mac Tech 07

According to the parts information, it looks like they are removable, possibly stuck in and likely have to replace.

i suspect they will get damaged during removal.

see image attached how number 26 is a separate part called “damper, footrest” with part number: 36Y-2741400

IMG_3548.png

IMG_3549.jpeg

Edited by Mac Tech 07
Added part info

Mac Tech 07

Looks like you should be able to hammer it out from the rear side of these? 

Posted (edited)

I did suspect that, cheapest I've found for a set of 4 is £60 which seems extreme for such a small part. But as I'm taking parts off and looking for small replacements I'm now fully understanding the costs of such tiny parts.  I have tried smacking them out using a socket round the lip which doesn't seem to work, even applied heat. I'm going to give it a go pushing them out using a vice next which hopefully will work. 

1 hour ago, Mac Tech 07 said:

According to the parts information, it looks like they are removable, possibly stuck in and likely have to replace.

i suspect they will get damaged during removal.

see image attached how number 26 is a separate part called “damper, footrest” with part number: 36Y-2741400

IMG_3548.png

IMG_3549.jpeg

Edited by jreed

Mac Tech 07

Sounds like a vice should do the trick with the right size socket tip. It is crazy how much these small parts are, guess it’s just supply and demand driving these prices, not the actual material value.

M, Hausknecht

Steel things pressed into aluminum are best removed by placing the aluminum piece in an oven at around 400F. The aluminum will expand more than the steel, reducing the strength of the press fit. Then use an hydraulic press (if you have one) with something like a proper diameter socket or a vise if you can set it up right. Sudden blows, like with a hammer, aren't ideal. Just don't burn your fingers.

• Like 1

ElGonzales

What M,Hausknecht said. Sometimes a hot air gun, used carefully and not directly aimed to the rubber, is enough and a temperature  of the metal where a drop of spit starts to fizz. At least thats how I check it while working in the garage :D
Of course, I am a little worried about the rubber if too high temperatures are used

Managed to pop them all out just using 2 sockets in a vice, they pushed out pretty easily. From what I can see it looks like no damage was caused to them either! 

IMG-20240107-WA0005.jpeg

• Like 4

ElGonzales

Good work and certainly useful information for someone someday  :) 

M. Hausknecht

Heat up the powder-coated pieces in an oven. Put the damper pieces in the freezer. The later should just drop in; no pounding or pressing necessary as long as your powder coating isn't too thick.

• Like 2

Should of read that before pushing them back in. One cracked the paint slightly, not that it's much of an issue as it's hidden behind a washer and I'll touch it up.  Swing arm bearings slid in with ease which I was more worried about as some paint had gotten inside where they sit. 

£70 including vat for the whole rearset and swing arm 

Screenshot_20240114-100110.png

Edited by jreed
  • Like 1