The MT-07 Forum

Traxxion Dynamics AR-25 Axxion Rod Damper Kit

Nucking Foob

Nucking Foob

I ordered from Traxxion with a specified rider weight of 169lbs and commuting riding style (quick and informative customer service btw). The kit includes two damper rods, two fork springs, two preload spacers, and 10W fork oil. The damper rods themselves feel very high quality. Just for fun, I took out the piston assembly from the damper rod. I used a pick to remove the snap ring which holds it in place.

The compression ports are covered by 3 shims of the same diameter. I am a little worried about the longevity of this setup since it is known that using a straight shim stack may cause permanent distortion of the shims over time. This could reduce damping force. Tapered shim stacks mitigate this problem (Racetech's Suspension Bible pg. 74). In either case, straight and tapered shim stacks both result in the desired linear curve on the damping force per velocity graph. I'm sure Traxxion knows what they are doing. On their website listing for the Axxion valve upgrade, the compression base valve is also pictured to use the same straight stack shim layout.

The rebound ports are covered by a spring-loaded washer. The low speed damping is achieved by an orifice that spans the length of the bolt which secures the piston and shims. Both damper rods use the same piston assembly. 

I have not had the chance to ride the bike yet, so I cannot vouch for ride quality or high speed damping characteristics, but I suspect that it will be very good. One thing I noticed when pumping the forks at a standstill is zero pogo-sticking, even with 10W oil.

As far as springs and preload, I received a 0.85 kg/mm and 0.90 kg/mm fork spring, which averages out to 0.875 kg/mm when installed on the bike. I am getting almost 30mm static sag. Although preload is non-adjustable, the sag seems to be within the proper range, and others have said that this stock setting works for them.

IMG_20240121_215547__01.jpg.83422935cdd4a60adac8eff7e8715e96.jpg

• Premium Member

We put a set in my son's track SV650 last year and set them up following Traxxion's recommendations. Everything was spot on. You should be happy with your set up.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

1 hour ago, Nucking Foob said:

I am a little worried about the longevity of this setup since it is known that using a straight shim stack may cause permanent distortion of the shims over time.

You shouldn't. They will last long time before they get distorted. They are also wear item and something that should be looked at when rebuilding forks and replaced.

• Like 1

crakerjac

I've actually been looking at having a set of AR-25s installed on my MT before spring.  I just need the weather to warm up a smidge so my fingers don't freeze off before I get the forks off the bike. 

I'm looking forward to your riding impressions... especially since you have it set up for "commuting".

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I have the AR-25 kit installed in my FZ-07.... I had previously used the Race Tech "Emulators" in the same bike. I can tell you that the AR-25 kit does everything better than the Race Tech product (and the install is MUCH easier). I actually raced on this front end for one season (and I know it was never meant to be a race set-up) 🙄.... I never lost traction/grip the AR-25's. Everything behaved as it should, and it never got "exciting" 😎-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 2 weeks later...
Nucking Foob

Update on ride quality: It is very good indeed. Plush and controlled, it handles city streets and winding roads noticeably better than stock. If anyone is looking for a front fork upgrade, this Traxxion kit is the one to get.

Edited by Nucking Foob