The MT-07 Forum

Difficultly on which Spiegler brake line kit is correct for my MT-07

Dare

I’ll start off by saying this is the first time posting on this forum and I’m not very mechanically inclined.

I’m planning to upgrade the brake lines on my 2015 MT-07LA with ABS, I’ve been looking into the kits Spiegler makes however I’m not entirely confident that it is the correct fit for my model. Spiegler has a 2015-2017 kit that seems to be for models without ABS, they also have a 2017-2020 ABS kit which I think could possibly work for the 2015 ABS but I’m not sure. I’ve spent a few hours looking online and have had a look at the brake/master cylinder diagrams for a few models but can’t seem to see any differences.

Has anyone got any experience with these kits on the 2015 ABS model or or has some more insight for me. If the latter kit doesn’t work what parts might I need to make it work?

Thanks for the help

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

Give them a call - and let them give you an explanation of the difference in kits and which you can use.

I'm going to assume you are changing front and rear because of aging of the stock lines. If it's for performance, you can skip the steel on rear. Your foot doesn't have the precision of your fingers, it's already able to overpower the caliper. That's why I only run ebc hh brake pads up front. I don't want to give the rear more grippy...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pursuvant said:

Give them a call - and let them give you an explanation of the difference in kits and which you can use.

I'm going to assume you are changing front and rear because of aging of the stock lines. If it's for performance, you can skip the steel on rear. Your foot doesn't have the precision of your fingers, it's already able to overpower the caliper. That's why I only run ebc hh brake pads up front. I don't want to give the rear more grippy...

Long story short I need to replace my front master cylinder and front levers after a mild crash, since the OEM parts are only a few hundred AUD less than upgrading to the RCS17 Corsa Costa I’ve been looking into upgrading to that. Eventually I was considering upgrading anyway so might as well do it while I have to replace the parts anyway. It seems everyone who has upgraded the master cylinder has either already done the brake lines or did them at the same time so I was looking into the brake lines too.

I sent a quick email to Spiegler yesterday asking about the kit and their response was they had not had an earlier ABS model in the shop so they wouldn’t be able to tell me if the kit would work for it or what I’d have to do to make it work.

You raise a valid point on the rear brakes though and I don’t need to replace the rear master cylinder either.

sweetscience

Unless Yamaha changed the ABS pump configuration, the later brake lines should fit, assuming you'll use stock master and handlebars.  Maybe post pics of your ABS module and brand for comparison.

Replacing the master with aftermarket is where it may or may not cause issues due to a different banjo location and configuration.  Refer to company return policy of products if this is the case.

So you got 3 options:  A. Keep everything stock and buy new/used oem lines,  B. buy aftermarket kit and master and hope for the best, or C. delete/bypass abs and measure your own lines for best fitment.

PS,  My front brake system consists of deleted ABS with braided custom length lines (Core Moto), stock handlebars and brembo 17 RCS master.  Using a similar diameter sized piece of rubber tubing,  I used that to take all measurements.  Taking into account max/min fork length and pinch-points in and around headlight housing.   

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

I've done the Brembo mod, but I also would not recommend a 17mm master cylinder for the 700.

Stock bike OEM master cylinder is 15mm and caliper pistons are 27/30mm for a hydraulic area ratio of about 29:1 (an entry level brake). This Brembo 17RCS mod pushes that ratio to about 22:1. That's too hot for this application.

Ratio of caliper pistons area to master cylinder area. The general design rule-of-thumb for twin rotor brake systems is as follows:
30:1 - soft feel
27:1 - sweet spot for design
23:1 - firm feel
20:1 - wooden feel

Using the 17RCS (22:1) will make your brakes harder to pull and much less lever travel, almost to the point of having "light-switch" brakes.

You need 16mm piston for your new brake master cylinder. Contact Brembo, see if the have the Corsa Corta available in 16mm.

That will give you firm brakes with less lever travel but enough to have good feel of what's happening at the wheel. And the Corsa Corta adjustable leverage will be the icing on the cake, allowing some additional "adjustment" from firm to extra firm or extra light for track days and rainy weather rides.

Don't ignore the math ratio. I'm running a 25:1 ratio on my xsr900, and it's almost perfect for the street.

• Like 1

They make an Rcs15 Corsa Corta.  Not sure which would be better for your setup, I used the 15 on a single caliper setup (Brembo 4 piston) and it worked excellent and felt great.

And fyi, if you are in the USA, before you pay $300 plus shipping for the Brembo master and then $70 extra for the reservoir kit.  Check out Carpimoto.  They are in Italy and sell the complete kit (master, reservoir mount kit and brake light switch for between $250 and $350 depending on whether you get the regular Rcs or the Corsa Corta).  They have all the different sizes in both as well as Brembo pads (sintered and organic for $20 a set).

They charge about $20 for shipping and the last time I ordered on a Sunday and my order was at my door on Wednesday.  Literally faster than if I had ordered from Rocky Mtn Atv lol.  It’ll save you a pile of money vs buying parts from the US that have already been marked up😀

IMG_2421.png.cbac9bec752552f978098cff78afda8c.png

Edited by jjmaine

If you wanted to upgrade your ENTIRE front brake system, they sell the Brembo calipers for $125 each.  Not sure if anyone makes a adapter bracket for the Mt-07 to mount the Brembo calipers though.  They have 40mm bolt spacing…. Just thought Id give you a heads up.

sweetscience

The R7 has a brembo 16mm radial master stock.  It comes in the regular silver oem finish or the anniversary edition black finish.  

Webike Japan sells adapter brackets for brembo calipers.

BrakeTech sells a big brake kit which include adapter brackets and 310 mm Axis rotors.  LOL, $790 USD.  These rotors are race spec 6 mm thick.  

Fell asleep last night while responding to @Pursuvant😅

So its sounding like the better options are the 15RCS Corsa Corta; the master cylinder from the R7 or keep it stock for now. I’ve left my repairs mechanic on delivered for almost a week so I probably shouldn’t take much more time deciding.

Will there still be justifiable improvement from the RCS15, I’m looking for a more linear feel from the master and don’t want to firm up the lever too much for one/two finger braking. could it still deliver that being a better quality master of the same diameter?

The R7 master does sound tempting though. I’m not planning on upgrading the entire brake system right now.

M. Hausknecht

The R6 front master cylinder is a 16mm Brembo and, at least in the US, enough cheaper than any other Brembo to be an excellent choice. It is what I have on my 07 race bike and I'm pleased with it. Good modulation and enough power for two-finger stoppies with steel lines and decent pads. I have a 19mm Brembo Corsa Costa on my other race bike, and it is excellent, but a totally unnecessary expense on a street bike.

I’ve ended up deciding on the R7 master - its kind of funny how these things go, came in thinking I was all decided on the master and had done enough research to get the right one (knew f@#k all still), and wanted some brake lines to compliment it, ended up with a different master and going to leave the brake lines for now - thanks all for the help.

Will update after the install in case anyone looking to do the same upgrade stumbles across this thread.

• Like 1

I have Speigler front lines on my FZ with ebc sintered pads. I also upgraded to the RCS 17 Brembo and I've never felt a better brake setup. The bike stops on a dime and trail braking feels phenomenal. This has been my dedicated track bike and soon-to-be race bike. The 17 master is probably overkill for a street-only machine though. My fz is non abs and I had no issues installing the lines it was quick and easy. Definitely reach out to Speigler if you are having trouble!