The MT-07 Forum

Shogun Frame Slider Torque?

billyjk

Torque spec is not included, so not sure if the Shogun bolt has the same strength as the OEM bolt. Here are my options per some research:

• Yamaha spec, dry: 54 ft-lbs
  • Yamaha spec, with anti-seize: 43 ft-lbs
  • Other slider brands for MT-07: 38-39 ft-lbs

So, it's simple to think just use the Yamaha spec (dry or lube) and hope the Shogun bolt has the same strength as OEM. Or, go on the safe side, and use specs for comparable non-OEM products.
I am leaning toward low 40's w/o lube.
Any sage advice on this?

Anyone?

Getting my bike tomorrow and I am planning on getting these sliders installed before my first ride!

M. Hausknecht

So here's the thing. The bolts in question are crucially important. Not only do they attach the motor to the frame but, at least as importantly, they enable the motor to add much needed structural rigidity to the frame. Take the motor out and sit gently on the frame, you'll see just how wimpy the frame is without the motor. So, those bolts need to be tight, so the motor doesn't shift slightly under load. It is the clamping force of the bolts that matters most.

I suspect that the slider torque numbers you've found are based either on a lower grade bolt, less thread engagement in the cylinder head, or a bit of softness in the slider material that limits the effective clamping force of the bolts. I'd start by assuring you're using grade 10.9 bolts that will have no less thread engagement than the OEM bolts. I would then use the Yamaha- recommended torque with anti-seize (important with highly loaded steel into aluminum).     

• Like 3

ElGonzales

I searched for the installation manual for these sliders.
It says: "Do not try to install this product without proper tools, recently calibrated torque wrench,
correct torque specifications from factory service manual,..."

(https://www.revzilla.com/assets/0001/2453/shogun_frame_sliders_no_cut_white.pdf)

So...Yamaha spec from service manual sounds good?

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 2