The MT-07 Forum

Rear tire plastic guard plastic rivets.

I believe this is my first post on this very helpful website. I just replaced my rear shock on my 2020 MT-07. My sort of issue is aside from removing the rear tire how in the heck do you replace the throttle side plastic rivet on the swingarm. I popped it off no problem but after replacing the shock when I went back to replacing the guard for the life of me I can’t get the rivet back in. My hands are not that big but no matter what I do I can’t get it back in. I should preface and say the guard is not attached anywhere when trying this, I did try to attached it with the 2 hex heads on the clutch side but that didn’t work either. Can I just leave that one off and just put back the plastic rivet that’s on with the brake like holder along with the 2 hex heads and be ok?

ElGonzales

I think you are talking about the red marked positions. I use long nose pliers to install the rivets there.
But you are correct, it's an annoying procedure. Maybe someone knows a good tip on how to make it easier.
I would not leave one off I think because of the permanent movement there, but you can try and report the result :)

kettenschutz.jpg

Yes sir those are the little buggers. I did try needle nose pliers but just could not get it to reach far enough in before I dropped the darn thing. Maybe I just need to get a longer pair of pliers. I was a bit worried about the tad bit of wiggle left if I leave out the one on the swing arm. I’ll try again since I ordered a couple new ones since I cracked one, but clearly Yamaha expects you to take off the tire to replace these things. Thx for the help.

ElGonzales

I have such a long model like in the picture. I was lucky and could keep all the special tools from more then 20 years ago when I was an apprentice as service technician. But I still need more than one attempt. Perhaps an angled tip would be better 🤷‍♂️

image.png.e1b8e86ff6576de35effd47166b0fbc3.png

Thx guys going out today to find me a nice long curved pair as yakko has above. Hopefully with those and a new rivet should go in easier.