The MT-07 Forum

Transmission swap DIY?

Sveach756

Sveach756

I got my polished and undercut spears gearbox and kind of understood that the transmission was a “cartridge” design. Its looks like to swap the transmission I need to split the block. Before I do this can anyone confirm that the block DOES need to be opened? 

The service manual seems to indicate the block needs to come apart. 

I need to balance time/effort on this one. If I’m opening the block I’m going to do it “the right way” and upgrade cams and have all the parts ready for install. 

If I do this myself I’ll try and get a DIY posted  

Thanks for helping w my dumb question

Shawn

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Yes, you must split the cases, which means nearly all of the motor needs to come apart. Don't forget to order new head and case bolts; they are single use items. You might need/want a variety of shims to get the spacing right.  

• Like 1

Michelle
13 hours ago, Sveach756 said:

I got my polished and undercut spears gearbox and kind of understood that the transmission was a “cartridge” design. Its looks like to swap the transmission I need to split the block. Before I do this can anyone confirm that the block DOES need to be opened? 

The service manual seems to indicate the block needs to come apart. 

I need to balance time/effort on this one. If I’m opening the block I’m going to do it “the right way” and upgrade cams and have all the parts ready for install. 

If I do this myself I’ll try and get a DIY posted  

Thanks for helping w my dumb question

Shawn

If you could document your journey with this that would be extremely helpful! I'm not doing any engine/trans work this season but most likely in the future. I'm also one to do the work myself so being able to go back to forums and see how others did their MT07 trans and engine work would be amazing. 

• Like 2