The MT-07 Forum

Using jack stands to lift MT07 for swingarm removal

Nucking Foob

Nucking Foob

This is a method to lift your MT07. I used a paddock stand to lift the bike by the swing arm. I then positioned jack stands on either side of the bike and a sturdy bar under the passenger foot pegs (move aside the rear brake reservoir first, and move aside the rear brake caliper while you're at it). I lowered the bike from the paddock stand onto the bar and jack stands. The result is a practical and robust bike lift that allows for complete rear suspension disassembly.

I did all of this to clean, inspect, and pack new grease into all of the swing arm and linkage bearings. Having done this for the first time on this bike at 7300 mi (~12000 km), I can say all of the bearings looked great and had good grease from the factory.

Untitleddrawing.jpg.5efaf96e62b2164e649e0e220e1314d8.jpg

Untitleddrawing(1).jpg.def222c994c933d7f8016118cdae158b.jpg

• Like 4

Triple Jim

Nice work with the jackstands. 

I had a Moto Guzzi for a few years.  While I was on that board I read a lot of posts about greaseless bearings and pivot points from the factory.  Mine was an older one, and I didn't see any evidence of that.

Edited by Triple Jim

M. Hausknecht

An advantage of rear sets is that it gives you a good place to put your jack stands when you want weight off the rear suspension.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, that's a horrible way to do this...   

It's too easy!   Not enough sweat equity and inadequate risk to fall over and break stuff.  😜

• Haha 1

Nucking Foob
7 hours ago, crakerjac said:

Would it add any stability to have the front in a stand as well?

With the bike being very stable in this configuration, you can absolutely lift the front end too. Using a triple tree head lift stand would allow for removal of the front wheel and suspension forks. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
joshharris2108

Thank you for the inspiration, my swingarm is a rusty mess and I am looking to take it off and get it stripped and powder coated. 

When you had it lifted like this did the passenger foot pegs support any of the weight, or stop the bike moving at all? Only asking as I've removed and sold mine, so would need to buy some back if they play a role in this way of lifting the bike. Thanks, Josh :)