The MT-07 Forum

Anyone know how to remove the OEM rear axle bobbins/spools?

scarmoll

scarmoll

Hey guys! I want to fit bobbins that can be used to lift the bike using a paddock stand, and the OEM/factory bobbins aren't stable enough. However, there doesn't seem to be a clear way of removing these. Aftermarket bobbins all have a bolt on the outside but these don't. There is a small hole on the left bobbin but I don't recognize what tool would fit.

I tried jamming a thin tool into the small hole or just twisting them off but I didn't get very far with either method. Hopefully someone else has some experience with these.

I attached some images.

Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

wollerms

Looks like you need a hex or allen wrench.

scarmoll

That's what I thought too, but there are no notches in the hole. It's just a hole with a small pin. I tried pressing the pin down with an allen key but that didn't do anything either.

I tried to take a better picture here:

image.jpeg.edb45e043a2a661cc7be76129082070b.jpeg

• Premium Member
Evill_Ed

Those are Gilles Tooling sliders, I believe one end is fixed to the shaft with a pin and the other side has an Allen set screw. Did you check both sides for a hole with a set screw?

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

M. Hausknecht

Yeah, not OEM. Isn't there an allen bolt head in that hole?

Royales83

This is not OEM and it seems to be a tamper-resistant allen key hole

image.png.e4111bc8d1eb060fac912ec742e237cf.png

scarmoll

I managed to get it off! I messaged the only retailer for this part in my area and they managed to find a manual for the part on the french Yamaha website.

It was in fact a Gilles part and I needed an H2 allen key to remove the set screw, afterwards I could twist the bobbins off of the threaded rod.

I hadn't tried to fit an allen key that small, which is why it didn't work earlier. Luckily I could borrow one.

Here is the manual for anyone that stumbles upon this thread: http://www2.yamaha-motor.fr/utilities/acc-extra/mounting/BATFRAXP0000 Rear axle protector.pdf

Thanks for the help guys! :D 

• Like 4

Lone Wolf
On 3/20/2024 at 3:41 PM, scarmoll said:

Hey guys! I want to fit bobbins that can be used to lift the bike using a paddock stand

Those existing bobbins on your bike look like they would work with a paddock stand.

I have the cheap Trackside stand, reversible pad (under swingarm) or "hook" for bobbins

trackside stand.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf

In my opinion the easiest option is the Evotech paddock stand bobbins, you can put them on or take them off in two minutes. I don’t leave them on the bike when I ride, mainly because they look pretty dorky (they sit waaay out from the swingarm, make sure your paddock stand can adjust wide enough to accomodate them). The drawback (as with all through-axle bobbins solutions) is that they’re great for chain cleaning and tire inspection, but if you need to adjust chain tension you need a different way to support the swingarm that lets you freely move the axle.

Edited by Subito
  • Thanks 1