The MT-07 Forum

Physical bottom out on one fork is 10mm less on left than right after seal change

SamBlue

After changing my fork seals the physical bottom out (is it called mechanical bottom out?) is 115mm on the left and 125mm on the right (the book says it should be 130mm). This was checked with the fork spring/spacer removed and the forks fully compressed off of the bike. Basically what I did to sharpie a dot to know where the bottom out was. Since this was measured off the bike this issue can't possibly be a longer spring, spacer, damper rod, or overfilled oil. There is something physical between the inner and outer tube shortening the travel by 10 mm on the left. And yes, the forks top out at the same length. I'm 100% sure they were both 125mm before the seal change because I had a zip tie on the right that used to hit bottom out that stops 10mm shorter now. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

IMG_4175.jpg

Right side. Picture taken with both internals removed and the front lowered to rest fully compressed. The dot is either at 125 or 130mm I don't remember but either way the left side is stopping me from using my full travel.

IMG_4281.jpg

Left side. Picture taken with forks fully extended and the line was added just before the picture was taken with the forks compressed all the way.

Edited by SamBlue

Nucking Foob

Have you correctly placed the top-out spring? If you accidentally dropped the top-out spring into the outer fork tube, the fork will be obstructed from bottoming out. The top-out spring must be dropped into the inner fork tube.

Edited by Nucking Foob