The MT-07 Forum

Flush ABS unit

Derek Oliveira

Derek Oliveira

Hi every one,

I am new on this forum and I have a 2019 MT-07, so I think I am in the right "place" to ask same questions and clear up any doubts!

Has anyone already bled the abs system/unit in some way? I mean acting abs to flush the unit.

3 hours ago, Derek Oliveira said:

Has anyone already bled the abs system/unit in some way?

Hi, I replaced all the brake lines on mt07 ABS over the winter, I just bled the brakes in the normal way, I didn’t have any way to cycle the abs unit but everything seems fine, as a side benefit my abs unit that used to screech every time I used the back brake in anger and has done since new now seems to have stopped!

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

I agree with @AP996 - just ignore there is an ABS. Whether you top fill or bottom up, follow your normal best practices. I've got some tips on bleeding, in this Brembo mod.

Derek Oliveira

Many abs units fail due to contaminated brake fluid that remains inside the hydraulic unit.

Triple Jim

I'd think that attempting to lock each wheel a few times on a gravel road would flush fluid though it.  Carefully of course.  :)

Edited by Triple Jim

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
3 hours ago, Derek Oliveira said:

Many abs units fail due to contaminated brake fluid that remains inside the hydraulic unit.

It's good to be aware & knowledgeable but the abs holding contaminated fluid or trapped air, turns into a nothing burger if you just do diligence flushing maintenance. No extraordinary effort required.

It's been discussed  (triggering the ECU to flush) but who wants to be the first to short the serial pins of the ECU?

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

And welcome to the forum @Derek Oliveira , good mods and good advice can be found here to keep your machine in it's prime

4 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

... if you just do diligence flushing maintenance....

Is just a normal bleed OK? Or something else? Thanks!

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

I have some tips & tools on flushing in this post . I flush down every season with clean fluid. On a system that was emptied for a mod, I do a fill up from the bottom with the right tools, but only if everything is clean. I don't want to push dirty fluid up into the master cylinder.

Derek Oliveira

This weekend I was "studying" how to get the abs to work with the bike on the stands, and I managed to do it! It took me a few failed attempts and hours.

I want to thank you any way for your concern and advice.

Soon I will start to drive and enjoy!

1 hour ago, Derek Oliveira said:

This weekend I was "studying" how to get the abs to work with the bike on the stands, and I managed to do it! It took me a few failed attempts and hours...

And how did you do this please?

Derek Oliveira

Sorry but is very dificult to explain by rithing only! If you can wait for a a week or so, I will upload a video on youtube how to do it and if your bike is MT-07 much better!

• Like 1

Derek Oliveira

Hi again, I having problems to edit the video on you tube and I don t think is going to be possible to just upload this video...I am not so good on this stuff, youtube, pc!

It may take a few day before until I find the solution.

ElGonzales

Haha, wild but  great solution :D
I had the idea to rotate one wheel on the stands to simulate a riding speed of more than 6 km/h while the other wheel has stoped and then press the brake lever. But first I assume you have to rotate both lifted wheels with exactly the same speed to give the ABS ECU the information that the system is working properly, thats a problem.

Derek Oliveira

Is not so easy like that because both wheels need to turn mre then 10km/h. By hand is allmost impossible or very dificult!

I am trying to do it as well with a signal simulator/generator but my scope sends a signal of 5 volts and I don t know if that can fry abs unit!?

I did try to sink voltage to 1.5volts but it did not work that way

I Know who invented a way to do the same but much better than my method! With a Arduino bord.

Triple Jim
59 minutes ago, Derek Oliveira said:

I am trying to do it as well with a signal simulator/generator but my scope sends a signal of 5 volts and I don t know if that can fry abs unit!?

You can use a potentiometer to make that 5 volts anything you like.

Derek Oliveira

I did try with resistences but amperege will be less has well?! Is 7mA on the top and 4mA on the bottom.

Triple Jim

So the spec is milliamps, not volts?  If that's the case you can use Ohm's law to choose resistances. 

R=E/I

In your case, for example, to get 4 milliamps from a 5 volt supply, R = 5 volts / .004 amps = 1250 ohms.