The MT-07 Forum

Safety Wire

Michelle

Michelle

Hello! 

Can a racer tell me everything they've had to safety wire for tech and maybe upload some pictures for reference? Especially the front and rear axle nuts would be very helpful! 

So far my list for safety wire is the oil drain bolt, oil filter, oil fill cap, radiator cap, coolant drain bolt, front and rear caliper bolts, front pinch bolt, front and rear axle nuts. 

Thanks! 

cosp600rr

With my race org in Colorado we have to do all the brake banjo bolts also. Ill include a few pictures of how I like to do the axles, pinch bolts and banjo bolts. Also I recommend doing the front sprocket bolt and we also have the do the brake pad pins and brake lever pin. My caliper bolts and pinch bolts may be different than yours depending on your bike. Mine is a 2015 FZ-07 but I changed the frontend to 2022 R7 forks. Each race organization is going to be different though so make sure you read their rule book.

image.jpeg.b06788182c7e09e1a9b7ebdd7b9d305f.jpegimage.jpeg.07424a2b63967736e09dab08d2b56a14.jpegimage.jpeg.6aa826200acfd720319830e083097834.jpegimage.jpeg.9e17a62841cef78b6f64e48a16269391.jpeg

• Like 1

Michelle
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, cosp600rr said:

With my race org in Colorado we have to do all the brake banjo bolts also. Ill include a few pictures of how I like to do the axles, pinch bolts and banjo bolts. Also I recommend doing the front sprocket bolt and we also have the do the brake pad pins and brake lever pin. My caliper bolts and pinch bolts may be different than yours depending on your bike. Mine is a 2015 FZ-07 but I changed the frontend to 2022 R7 forks. Each race organization is going to be different though so make sure you read their rule book.

image.jpeg.b06788182c7e09e1a9b7ebdd7b9d305f.jpegimage.jpeg.07424a2b63967736e09dab08d2b56a14.jpegimage.jpeg.6aa826200acfd720319830e083097834.jpegimage.jpeg.9e17a62841cef78b6f64e48a16269391.jpeg

Thank you! This was super helpful! Do you have a link for where you got that castle nut for the rear axle? Also, I take it your org requires a transponder do you have a pic of where/how you mounted yours? 

Edited by Michelle

cosp600rr

The rear axle thread pitch is M18 x 1.50. You should be able to find one online to order or possibly at your local hardware store. 

I always put the transponder on the upper fork tube between the upper and lower triple clamp. You should have a bracket thats made to hold the transponder and it has slots in it to run a ziptie through. I use the big zipties and sometimes put a piece of duct tape behind the bracket so it doesnt spin on the fork tube. 

As said read the rules for the club you're racing with.  We had to wire the header bolts in mine but not the banjo bolts like above.  Some organizations wont allow clips for the axle nuts and brake calipers but if they do its very convenient.  If you're new to the club then they give you an extra look.  I remember my first year the tech guys really went over my bike and as time went on tech inspection got easier. 

Michelle
16 hours ago, cosp600rr said:

The rear axle thread pitch is M18 x 1.50. You should be able to find one online to order or possibly at your local hardware store. 

I always put the transponder on the upper fork tube between the upper and lower triple clamp. You should have a bracket thats made to hold the transponder and it has slots in it to run a ziptie through. I use the big zipties and sometimes put a piece of duct tape behind the bracket so it doesnt spin on the fork tube. 

Awesome thanks! 

Michelle
15 hours ago, union said:

As said read the rules for the club you're racing with.  We had to wire the header bolts in mine but not the banjo bolts like above.  Some organizations wont allow clips for the axle nuts and brake calipers but if they do its very convenient.  If you're new to the club then they give you an extra look.  I remember my first year the tech guys really went over my bike and as time went on tech inspection got easier. 

Makes sense. I'll be thoroughly studying the CCS rule book. I'm getting my race license with MARRC the day before my first race weekend so hopefully, they can help me if I miss anything before tech the next day! I think I'll sort of try and play it safe and if unsure of a bolt just drill a hole so I can safety wire at the track if need be. 

• Like 2