The MT-07 Forum

Starting off with a full rebuild...

Liam_21

Liam_21

Hi everyone,

I bought a ropey 2015 MT07 and am currently in the process of fully rebuilding the bike.  Didn't even ride it, just fully committed to the build.  I am really looking forward to getting it finished, hopefully in time for the nice weather! Frame has just been powder coated as have the wheels and all brackets and fixings.  Just need to find the time to get it all back together! 

I am struggling for one part currently if anyone has a spare they are willing to sell.  It's the stock cartridge or "comp cylinder" as yamaha call it.  They seem to be very hard to come by from breakers.... 

I was toying with the aftermarket full cartridge kit, but I don't think the cost would justify the the benafit I would get considering I will just be comuting and hopefully joining some of you on ride outs. 

If you have picture of the one you have post it. I have bunch of them but they are not marked so not sure which ones are FZ07. 

Liam_21

Thanks TWF, here is a picture of the said cartridge.  

Screenshot_20240328_193114_Gallery.jpg

Curious.  How did you lose a damper rod?  As for a cartridge kit.  If you have the money they are worth it even for just commuting.  I think the Ohlins kit is a drop in.  I went with andreani which require a little more work to get installed but I feel they were worth the cost.  I'm just fooling around with my bike.

Liam_21

When it was removed there was damage to the threads on one of the damper rods.  I can only assume it was overtorqued when it was last reassembled by the previous owner.

A full cartridge kit does sound very tempting.  I haven't ridden one of these bikes yet to compare the stock feel of the forks against anything.  If it is terrible, then it will definitely be one of the first upgrades.

• Premium Member

This bike was built for a price point and the stock suspension is one the areas they saved money. There are only one or two people on this forum that claim to be happy with the stock suspension.  A large majority find the stock suspension lacking to some degree or another. Myself included. When I bought mine brand new, the suspension was in no way working for my 200lb+ load. It would become unsettled on anything other than flat straight roads.  After a suspension upgrade, both front and rear, it was a night and day difference. I now have full confidence when I ride. 

if you're closer to the 140lb rider the stock suspension was designed for you may find the stock suspension acceptable. Your plan to at least give the the stock suspension a try is solid. Let the bike tell you what it needs. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.