The MT-07 Forum

Pop during shift now bad idle surge and mild knocking(?)

ThePullOutCouch

ThePullOutCouch

I was up shifting from 5-6 about 45-50% throttle when I heard a loud pop, thought it was odd that doesn't usually happen but the bike felt fine for the 5 min ride home until I got the stop sign on my road and I noticed the idle was really rough and surging. The right side exhaust pipe was noticeably cooler, still hot but cooler. If i unplug the right side coil the sound changes but the engine stays running, if I unplug the left the bike dies instantly. I tried swapping the coils and plugs side to side with no difference, I did a compression test and got 110 right and 105 left which according to the service manual is spot on as the left should be slightly lower for whatever reason. I ohm tested the coils and fuel injectors and got good reading and they matched eachother. I pulled the valve cover, chain seems tight not obvious damage. Looked in the cylinder with a boroscope as best as I could, again no obvious damage to the top of the piston, couldn't see much more as the spark plug hole is so small it barely fit. Kinda don't know what to check next, I'd love to take it to the dealer but I leave for basic training in 3 weeks so I don't want to leave it there while I'm gone if its not a super quick fix and the nearest dealer is about 2 hours away no traffic. Was hoping someone has some insight as to what it might be or what to look for next. The only thing I can think of next is to pull the head and or engine to get a better look at the valves. I'm not afraid to dig into it I'm just out of the knowledge zone as far as what to do next here. I attached a video down below. Mods are a tune from VCycleNut, Hord Power Intake,a Yoshi clone exhaust, and a Annitori QS. I've unplugged the QS entirely so its nothing with that causing it the tune and intake as exhaust have been on for about 600 or so miles so I don't think it has anything to really do with that as I've done many hard and long accelerations since installing those items with no issues.

Thanks again.

The fact that you didn’t notice any difference until you came to idle and you have good compression on both cylinders makes me wonder if you have an air leak on one side, have you checked that none of the hoses etc has come off the throttle bodies.

Just a first thought.

• Like 4

ThePullOutCouch
5 hours ago, AP996 said:

The fact that you didn’t notice any difference until you came to idle and you have good compression on both cylinders makes me wonder if you have an air leak on one side, have you checked that none of the hoses etc has come off the throttle bodies.

Just a first thought.

There's just the one hose on one side of the throttle body and a cap on the other side right? If so then yeah I looked at those and they were both still on. I initially thought the same thing hoping it was just something silly.

M. Hausknecht

Check the throttle body connections to the head as well, and determine that the hose to the intake air pressure sensor is still attached at the sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate i did reply to your message, you have the exact same problem a lot of 07 owners have suffered, valve collet/retainer has come out , do not start it until you have investigated further, if the valve falls out you will destroy the engine !!

remove the rocker cover , you can just get it out in the frame, remove the Cams , we have found it’s always an exhaust valve , half the valve retainer comes out and forces the follower up so it keeps the valve from sealing thus giving you the missfire, you can see exactly what valve is at fault as it sits higher than the others   

Carefully removing the follower, there is a shim in between the cap and the valve , you will find half a retainer poking out , we bought a new set of retainers, and a valve compression tool that bolts to the head get the cylinder to tdc and you can just compress the valve spring enough to replace the retainers 

• Like 1

Exhaust valve!? Wow, how many miles on this bike!?

Trying to wrap my head around this issue.  Is this caused by detonation?  Is the problem prevailant to tuned bikes?  Is this the result of bike abuse, incorrect gasoline grade?