The MT-07 Forum

Metallic rattle from the front sprocket area

Athum

Hello,

I own Yamaha MT-07 2018 with 20 000 km on the odometer. I noticed metallic rattle sound from the front sprocket area and I am obsessed it comes from the chain. Even after I changed the D.I.D. chain and JT sprockets last summer about 1000 km ago. I cant feel anything abnormal when driving, switching gears or fast accelerations. Swapped engine oil and it does not contain any metal particles.

Here I have first video from last summer where the rattle and weird chain jumping is present.

The next video is from yesterday where I noticed that the sound is probably gotten worse.

The last video is without chain. The sound is much quieter but you can hear metallic clank especially when revving the engine. Is this normal?

Here is also picture of the front sprocket from all sides. I noticed that the damping material is not worn evenly and chain marks can be seen on the back side of the sprocket. Chain and sprocket is only been driven 1000 km so is this kind of wear normal?

image.png.0ef67173e2bc67d9700fc4e0a3e81e49.png

In brief, is this kind of metallic sound normal or should I be worried? I am terrified if there is something wrong with the gearbox.

Triple Jim

In the last video the noise seems to be present only at idle speed.  That makes me think the noise is from play between the gear's spline and the spline on the output shaft.  When the sprocket is on and the nut tight, can you feel any play?

Edited by Triple Jim

That's is my same question: I've heard the same difference noticed by @Triple Jim when the speed of the sprocket decreases. I'm wondering if there's any free play when the nut of the sprocket is tight.

@Athum Maybe you can do another test without the sprocket (and without the nut, also) and report if there's any rattle in this case.

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Hello,

When the chain is on the front sprocket, the nut is tightened to the moment seen on the manual. It is true that the nut can be bit loose because I could not tighten the nut fully (engine rotates). I just wanted to see if there is any wobble on the run. 

There is not any movement in any direction on the axel that can be felt by hand. I will perform the test without the front sprocket in few days and post the video here.

Thanks!

In order to tighten the sprocket nut to the desired torque, you need to have the chain and the rear wheel mounted.

You need to stop the rear wheel (with the brake or with a screwdriver between the chain and the rear sprocket, in the low side), put the bike in first gear, and then go with the torque wrench to the desired torque.

The engine alone can't stop the rotation, even in first gear.

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Athum

Hello,

Here is new video from today without front sprocket. While doing the job, I noticed that the riveted chain link may be too tight because it wont fully return straight after going past the sprocket