The MT-07 Forum

Checked out a used bike with really low mpg (20 mpg)

I went to check out a 2017 FZ07 and the only concerning factor was it was averaging 20mpg. Had an Akrapovic Carbon without a tune.

Seller seemed like a genuinely honest guy and was upfront about the other repairs he made on the bike. I told him I had to think about it - I'm 35 minutes away so I can come back if I change my mind. The thing that concerns me is that the average reading is the average since it was last reset (and he would've mentioned it if he did). So it might've been averaging 20mpg for thousands of miles. He said he rides highways too.

What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated.

scat2me
Posted (edited)

I had a 2017 FZ 07. I used a booster Plug with the stock exhaust and no special tuning. Only used Regular gas. I averaged 52MPG Absolutely no issues.  I sold the Bike in November 2023 ( not by choice) for $5500.00 cash with 4000 miles. It was immaculate.

The bike had the following upgrades. Over $2500.00
Corbin custom Gunfighter leather seat. $600.00
Kenimoto Center Stand $165.00
Ermax Scoop fairing scowl $165.00
Booster Plug $150.00
Core Stainless Steel Brake Lines $150.00
Shrike Mounts Saddle bags set
MadStad Full Windscreen $300.00
Puig Touring Naked New Generation Windscreen $120.00 available
T-rex engine covers $120.00
Galfer HH Sintered brake pads $95.00
Tail bag super2.0 with waterproof cover $95.00
Pro Taper Evo Adventure Handlebars 1-1/8" $85.00
Woodcraft Frame Slider Base and Pucks $65.00
Grip Tech Cell Phone Holder $60.00
Ride On Tire Balancer puncture sealer $45.00
Custom Shorty levers $45.00
Black Radiator Grille Guard $35.00
Front Fender extender $35.00
Radiator Coolant Reservoir Guard Cover $30.00
Front-wheel sliders $30.00
STORM Red CNC Bar End Weights $25.00
Waterproof USB Port $20.00
VGEBY Universal Mini Loud Horn $18.00
Front and rear reflective wheel reflectors $15.00
CNC Motorcycle Rudder Oil Filler Cap$15.00
Pro Grip 719 RVGS Gel Grips $15.00
Helmet lock $15.00
Screen protector $10.00
New Battery
Metzler Road Tech 01Tires. (2500 miles)
Rear Tail light with integral turn signals programmable 175.00
New Battery Installed 9/4/2023 $90.00 Plus a spare battery and Battery tender charger

Bike with sadlle baga.jpg

Edited by scat2me
spelling

Triple Jim

My stock 2020 averages mid 60s MPG, and last week got over 70 (tankful average) on a ride in the western NC mountains where the speed limit was mostly 45.  20 is so bad that I have to assume the PO had a bad map programmed, or the MPG meter is somehow way out of calibration, or some other gross problem.

Paulb5950

20 is wild. I ride mine hard most the time. Tuned, exhaust and HP intake. And my overall average for the last 1200 miles is at 39. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking of taking it on a reasonably long test ride and check the instantaneous MPG while cruising at my usual speeds. The only reason I wanna give the bike a chance is I checked an identical bike (another 17 with Akra) yesterday and it also averaged 20 MPG (the meter was reset due to a battery swap the day before). From these 2 and my past experience with another FZ07, I can't see so many bikes having critical issues and it might just be the rider's wrist and gearing. I don't need an acclaimed hypermile 60, but if I can keep it at 40 I'd be happy.

I'm hoping a test ride at full tank followed with a refill will give me a decent idea of how much it actually consumes.

Edited by navid

Triple Jim
15 minutes ago, navid said:

I was thinking of taking it on a reasonably long test ride and check the instantaneous MPG while cruising at my usual speeds.

You can reset the average MPG reading when you start the ride and see what it gets for that ride.  Watching the instantaneous reading won't tell you much, since it varies A LOT.  Scroll through the various meter readings and when you get to the average MPG stop, and the number will be flashing.  While it's still flashing, push the right button and it will be reset.

When you reset it, ride conservatively for a few miles before you start squirreling around.  If the map is stock, it should be easy to get 50s or even 60s if you ride like you want to get high MPG.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

You can reset the average MPG reading when you start the ride and see what it gets for that ride.  Watching the instantaneous reading won't tell you much, since it varies A LOT.  Scroll through the various meter readings and when you get to the average MPG stop, and the number will be flashing.  While it's still flashing, push the right button and it will be reset.

When you reset it, ride conservatively for a few miles before you start squirreling around.  If the map is stock, it should be easy to get 50s or even 60s if you ride like you want to get high MPG.

Thanks for pointing that out. Yup, I was thinking of resetting the average too. Don't want my eyes staring at the dash while riding a completely different bike.

• Like 1

Walker
On 5/11/2024 at 12:41 PM, scat2me said:

I had a 2017 FZ 07. I used a booster Plug with the stock exhaust and no special tuning. Only used Regular gas. I averaged 52MPG Absolutely no issues.  I sold the Bike in November 2023 ( not by choice) for $5500.00 cash with 4000 miles. It was immaculate.

The bike had the following upgrades. Over $2500.00
Corbin custom Gunfighter leather seat. $600.00
Kenimoto Center Stand $165.00
Ermax Scoop fairing scowl $165.00
Booster Plug $150.00
Core Stainless Steel Brake Lines $150.00
Shrike Mounts Saddle bags set
MadStad Full Windscreen $300.00
Puig Touring Naked New Generation Windscreen $120.00 available
T-rex engine covers $120.00
Galfer HH Sintered brake pads $95.00
Tail bag super2.0 with waterproof cover $95.00
Pro Taper Evo Adventure Handlebars 1-1/8" $85.00
Woodcraft Frame Slider Base and Pucks $65.00
Grip Tech Cell Phone Holder $60.00
Ride On Tire Balancer puncture sealer $45.00
Custom Shorty levers $45.00
Black Radiator Grille Guard $35.00
Front Fender extender $35.00
Radiator Coolant Reservoir Guard Cover $30.00
Front-wheel sliders $30.00
STORM Red CNC Bar End Weights $25.00
Waterproof USB Port $20.00
VGEBY Universal Mini Loud Horn $18.00
Front and rear reflective wheel reflectors $15.00
CNC Motorcycle Rudder Oil Filler Cap$15.00
Pro Grip 719 RVGS Gel Grips $15.00
Helmet lock $15.00
Screen protector $10.00
New Battery
Metzler Road Tech 01Tires. (2500 miles)
Rear Tail light with integral turn signals programmable 175.00
New Battery Installed 9/4/2023 $90.00 Plus a spare battery and Battery tender charger

Bike with sadlle baga.jpg

Why Booster plug which is $169 + tax + shipping when you can get 2WDW for $299?

Update: I took the bike for a 40 minute test ride (20 of which was 30mph and heavy traffic lights, rest was highway). With a comfortable wrist I was able to get 50mpg average. I'm now the happy owner of a FZ07 :).

My guess is the seller must've reset very recently and went ham with the throttle.

• Like 3

Triple Jim

Thanks for the update, and enjoy your FZ-07!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
scat2me
On 5/14/2024 at 9:38 AM, Walker said:

Why Booster plug which is $169 + tax + shipping when you can get 2WDW for $299?

The reviews and ease of use. I would do it again. No issues...ever.