The MT-07 Forum

2015 MT-07 check engine light and minor issues

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Bought a used, well maintained 2015 mt-07. Shortly after i noticed it flicked engine light while switching gears, nothing other than that, functioned perfectly. The light dissappeared after a few starts and some time.

Called the seller and they said they had never had this issue and only idea was fuel from last season causing it. Since then i've refueled a few times with E5. No issues for over a week and a few hundred kilometers. Changed oil and coolant also as it was time.

Today the light came back and this time it stayed mostly on and on two starts the engine would not stay on unless i gave it some rev. Managed to get home.

Going to get the fault codes read next week asap. In the meantime asking this forum if you have any ideas? The bike has ixil l3xb exhaust and no ecu flash done (hardly available in EU/my country..). Only similarity with these two times i've had the problem is that the fuel level is low-ish.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: pretty sure the bike gave 5d-13 error: Intake air pressure sensor: open or short circuit detected.

Can't get the light or error to show now, even though the engine wont stay on. 

Edited by rah1

sweetscience

I read the intake air pressure (MAP) sensor goes faulty on these bikes.  But before replacing the MAP sensor, I would sync the throttle bodies first to rule out any vacuum leaks.  And if it is in fact a faulty MAP sensor, be sure to sync throttle bodies again after installing the new sensor.

1 hour ago, sweetscience said:

I read the intake air pressure (MAP) sensor goes faulty on these bikes.  But before replacing the MAP sensor, I would sync the throttle bodies first to rule out any vacuum leaks.  And if it is in fact a faulty MAP sensor, be sure to sync throttle bodies again after installing the new sensor.

Need to give this some thought. Thanks.

Do you know if an old battery could cause these issues? 

Also, i read somewhere today that you could disconnect the sensor and the bike would still work (in my case i trust it could fix it temporarily), as the ECU would somehow ignore the sensor and use another map? Do you know if this is true? I could try this tomorrow.

This video is basically identical to my issue and the comments tell replacing the sensor has fixed the issue. 

Is the TB sync necessary if changing the sensor? Also do fault codes need to be reset or do they dissappear if the issue is fixed? 

sweetscience

Even if it was an old battery that was causing this, it is unlikely to spit out this fault code.  Find the status of the battery and go from there.

Nah, don't ride it the way it is, before the problem is solved.  For safety's sake. 

sweetscience

TB sync is not necessary if changing the sensor.  It is routine maintenance done every 6000 km or every 6 months, according to the service manual.  There is post here on how to setup a TB sync modification to make it WAY easier and quicker to do the job without having to remove any fairings and other stuff in the way to get to the inlet ports. 

If the issue is fixed, the fault code can be erased using a Yamaha diagnostic tool, code reader, or without tools by riding the bike a few times.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, sweetscience said:

Even if it was an old battery that was causing this, it is unlikely to spit out this fault code.  Find the status of the battery and go from there.

Nah, don't ride it the way it is, before the problem is solved.  For safety's sake. 

Yeah i didn't mean to actually drive it but more of a troubleshoot. However if i can get it functioning this way i might need to drive it to a repair shop if required as i can't really get any other transport either.

I guess i'll try some more troubleshooting tomorrow anyways, just to confirm. 

Also thanks a lot for your input so far!

Edited by rah1

sweetscience

If you can afford to get a shop to fix it, have at it.  If you got basic tools, you could swap that MAP sensor easily.

Yeah most likely going to swap it myself and then drive to a shop if the code somehow needs resetting. (Or if the problem is not fixed..).