The MT-07 Forum

I ran my bike without oil bike shut down and had to push it all the way home ......

i brought my 2020 MT07 into the shop and after a couple days they call me back and tell me my engine is seized and i need new engine said they found a used one for $2,800 and that with labor it would come out to $5,000.  Does this sound legit they didnt even tell me exactly what was wrong with the engine or the direct part. Please correct me if I’m wrong but if the engine was seized how was i able to push my MT07 several blocks to the shop. what do you guys think i should do 

Triple Jim

You can push a vehicle with a seized engine if the transmission is in neutral.

How in the world did you manage to run it without oil?  Wasn't the low oil pressure light lit?

If you ran your bike low on oil then yes your motor is probably toast but those prices for a second hand engine and labour sound very salty!

If you don’t have the mechanical knowledge to buy and fit a fresh engine yourself maybe you’ll be better off to sell the bike as is to someone who can and then buy another good bike, would probably work out cheaper than $5000.

Expensive lesson but you probably won’t forget to keep the oil topped up on the next one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

You can push a vehicle with a seized engine if the transmission is in neutral.

How in the world did you manage to run it without oil?  Wasn't the low oil pressure light lit?

i had a parasitic drain so my display was never working too many mistakes on my end definitely 

3 hours ago, AP996 said:

If you ran your bike low on oil then yes your motor is probably toast but those prices for a second hand engine and labour sound very salty!

If you don’t have the mechanical knowledge to buy and fit a fresh engine yourself maybe you’ll be better off to sell the bike as is to someone who can and then buy another good bike, would probably work out cheaper than $5000.

Expensive lesson but you probably won’t forget to keep the oil topped up on the next one.

its unfortunate but i seems to be the only outcome unless i get really lucky in  auction

Triple Jim
1 hour ago, AJ07 said:

i had a parasitic drain so my display was never working too many mistakes on my end definitely 

Oh, bummer.  I once got a Vega cheap because it overheated, but the owner didn't know because the temperature warning light's sensor was bad.  It needed a whole engine rebuild.

M. Hausknecht

Local market conditions vary, no doubt, but I've gotten healthy used CP2s for less than $2000. A motor swap shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours or so. Labor of $2200 is, therefore, over $400 per hour.....   Running without oil doesn't destroy the entire motor, but it will wreck the cylinder head, camshafts, pistons, and crank journals, at a minimum. Swapping motors is much less labor than tearing a motor down and rebuilding it with new or new/used parts.