The MT-07 Forum

Does the rear ABS engage way too easily? (2017)

Since I bought the bike recently, my rear brake has been utter trash. I've bled the brakes and put on sintered pads which helped slightly.

When I press the rear pretty quickly, even without that much deceleration I feel the ABS kicks in (clunk in the pedal and sound of the ABS pump right under the gas tank). I find it hard to believe that the rear could have locked up that easily, considering how slow the deceleration is. Is the rear ABS that sensitive?

Any advice is appreciated.

Claude

On my 2017, I must push quite hard (on asphalt) on the pedal for the ABS to engage. I must do it in a purpose.

• Like 1

Triple Jim

You're fairly new here, and we don't know how much riding experience you have, so it's hard to answer appropriately.  How much motorcycle riding have you done?

2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

You're fairly new here, and we don't know how much riding experience you have, so it's hard to answer appropriately.  How much motorcycle riding have you done?

I've ridden for 5000 miles which is probably new. My last bike was an MT03. While the rear brake didn't feel that strong on that bike, it was a lot firmer and almost never engaged ABS. 

sweetscience

Too bad the ABS is too sensitive, with no fancy adjustability.  The sintered pads may have an affect.  Try using stock pads to lessen the initial bite. 

Other options is to pull the ABS fuse and disable it completely,  or bin the whole ABS system in place of SS lines.

• Like 1

Triple Jim

My 2020's ABS doesn't engage until the wheel is starting to skid, which is what ABS is supposed to do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sweetscience said:

Too bad the ABS is too sensitive, with no fancy adjustability.  The sintered pads may have an affect.  Try using stock pads to lessen the initial bite. 

Other options is to pull the ABS fuse and disable it completely,  or bin the whole ABS system in place of SS lines.

Thanks for your input. I don't mind the ABS. I'd rather have it than risk high siding. I don't use the rear brake much beyond crawling in traffic. I was just wondering if there is something wrong with my rear system considering how ineffective it feels.

The front brake with sintered pads (OEM lines) is so damn good that I've crushed my nuts anytime I braked hard lol.

Walker

I have the EBC Sintered pads front and rear. I am able to get the rear wheel to lock up before the ABS engages, when I am intentionally trying to get that to happen. Anytime you simulate a panic stop amount of pressure, the ABS immediately kicks in though.